• Page:

TOPIC: Introducing myself and my boat

Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9563

• Bowwiz
  • Bowwiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
3 weeks ago I came across a boat that I feel needs to be shown here.My name is David aka Bowwiz,I'm 44 yrs old and I own a 1966 Arkansas Traveler.
I found the boat in Central Texas around Austin.The owner I bought it from said it belong to his grandfather who bought it brand new in 1966.The boat ended up spending almost 40 years in a climate controlled garage-in Northern California with a canvas tarp over it.In late 2008,the Grandfather passed and the grandson got the estate and shipped it all to Texas.
Here in Texas ,he had the boat serviced spendin $1,200 at a boat shop in 2009 and took it out 2 times on Lake Travis.The mans wife -a large woman-didn't like the boat ,small for her,so she made him sell it..
The interior panels are in excellence condition,the floor has a thick vinyl covering/mat,its faded,but floor is solid.The upholstery on the seats were cracked,and checking around,it was cheaper to replace the seats with new molded plastics seating.After laying down indoor/outdoor carpet over the vinyl floor. This boat is in almost new looking condition.
The 1966 Johnson 40 hp outboard with Electromatic drive runs like a sewing machine.
Its a good feeling owning a boat thats the same age as you and in alot better shape than yourself.:)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9564

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
New carpet over original floor..
Attachments:

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9565

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I did add a aftermarket Bimini Top. [/i]
Attachments:

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9566

Nice looking boat! I think I would have kept theboat and gotten rid of the wife. LOL Welcome aboard!

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9569

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Doug.
I've been looking around this site tonight.Sure seen some great old boats here!

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9572

Hi David!
Very nice boat and a great story. I grew up with an AT - it was a tough old boat...you'll get years of enjoyment from her, but be careful - nobody has just one FiberGlassic!

Peter
in Denver

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9577

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Welcome aboard David, Great looking boat you have.

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9599

Sweet looking classic runabout!

1970 Glastron V-142 SkiFlite
1965 Merc 500
1968 Merc 500

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9633

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Yall..My excitement in owning this boat when sour today at the Lake.While cruising across the Lake at full throttle/power.The Johnson 40 hp with electromatic shift-the boat lost forward gear .Come home and checked it,and found I have 12 volts going to lower unit and reverse gear still works,but no forward.
Doing a quick search for lower unit parts for this old 1966 Johnson 40 ,I see its not going to be a quick fix.
Anyone recommend a parts supplier of electric shift lower unit for this engine?

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9664

Bowwiz: By the description of your failure it sounds like you may have a problem with one of two thing. The electro-magnet may have failed or the drive coil has broken or come loose. Elertro-magnets do fail but in my experience not as often as the drive coil breaks or comes loose. Get yourself a parts/maintenance service manual. Once I studied the parts blowup you can see how the unit works. As often as not the three allen set screws that hold the drive coil in place will have come out/loose and tension will have been put on the drive coil tab. Eventually the tab will break off causing a failure as you have described. In an instance such as this I have switched the forward with the reverse drive coils as they are identical. Installing the forward drive coil in the reverse position holding it in place with only the three allen screws without the advantage of the drive coil tab. You use reverse so sparingly the drive coil without the tab should last you a very long time. Use locktight on the three allen screws. If this is indeed your problem the cost is only in time.

I have priced out electro-magnets at $300.00each/new. Way to much for me. If needed pickup a parts motor for parts. The forward and reverse electro-magnets are different.

I have found the Electro-Shift lower units to be very long lasting and reliable. However the correct oil (TYPE "C") must be used as standard 80-90 will cause the gears to drop out momentarily and they re-engage, hitting very hard.

Good Luck
Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9679

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello David, Mine did the same thing,reverse but no forward. The electric wire that runs through the exhaust housing down to the gears was burnt in two after 40 yrs ;)

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9697

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Jim L wrote:

Hello David, Mine did the same thing,reverse but no forward. The electric wire that runs through the exhaust housing down to the gears was burnt in two after 40 yrs ;)

I torn it down today and this is what it was! Thanks for the advice..
--This type C oil,guess I am gonna have to go to local boat shop now :)
Thanks for the replys and the advice Greg..
I'm going back to the Lake tomorrow!
Attachments:

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9701

Amazing you found the problem so quickly. You are gonna love this site and the men and women on it. They have helped me many, many times. Welcome to the world of fiberglassics. Yours is a beauty. Mike

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9758

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
tyeechaser wrote:

Amazing you found the problem so quickly. You are gonna love this site and the men and women on it. They have helped me many, many times. Welcome to the world of fiberglassics. Yours is a beauty. Mike

I am a retired ASE Master Certified Auto/Diesel of 24 yrs due to having a form of Muscular Dystrophy .I knew when I ohm'd out the green wire going to the lower unit.I knew it was a burnt or broke wire,so I figured ,tear it down and see what happen.
I was so excited that it only cost $10 in supplies to fix-which was my choice,i could have done it cheaper :)

Now,on this Type C oil for the lower unit.I went to our only boat shop in town -Merc/Johnson dealer-they didn't have any Type C gear lube in carry out form.Then tells me ,if I get something to put it in ,they have 5 gals in back and will sell some to me.So I went to Dollar General and got a 1 qt spray bottle and returned to boat shop.
They charged me $12 for what looks likes 5w-30 engine oil.What makes Type C different
?-I'm not finding any tech info on Type C?
This site Rocks!

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9770

• amac
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
is type "C" also what's in a 67' 33 horse johnson?

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9776

I have the 64 version of you motor, that was also stored in a barn for 40 years. Type C oil you can buy in West Marine and is mandatory for that motor. I believe that most of the Electramatic motors require type C.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9799

Type "C" oil is compatible with electrical wiring, electrical connections and electro-magnets. 80-90 gear lube is not. I do not know what year(s)electric shift lower units were phased out but is was a long time ago. I would suspect many dealers would not carry Type "C" because they just would not have a call for it. I can find it in the boating department at our local farm store.

When I described the "dropping out" of gear then slamming back into gear at high RPM due to 80-90 gear lube I really don't know why it happens. I have had it happen on more than one motor that I have worked on and test drove. After having had 80-90 in a electric shift motor I have had to drain the 80-90, refilled with Type "C", ran the motor and it still "dropped out" but not nearly as often. Drained the lower unit after about one hour and refilled with fresh Type "C". That eliminated the dropout problem. Maybe the "dropout" happens because the 80-90 is so thick it actually gets between the magnet and the drive coil and inhibits good contact. The type "C" oil is thinner. I pay $8 to $12/Qt.

Another qualification is the motor would only "dropout" of gear under full throttle high torque. Less than full throttle high torque it acted fine.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9818

Amazing how a great website can get info to those who need it so quickly, congrats guys, job well done.

As for the boat, she's a beaut, love to see excellent original examples. And ya gotta love a guy who flies a BIG pendant!

Bernie

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9872

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Oldskier wrote:

Amazing how a great website can get info to those who need it so quickly, congrats guys, job well done.

As for the boat, she's a beaut, love to see excellent original examples. And ya gotta love a guy who flies a BIG pendant!

Bernie

Thanks for the info & replys!

Heres what the boat looked like the day i bought it.. the original floor and very solid

[/i][/b]
Attachments:

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9873

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The original floor mat.I left it in place because its still waterproof .....I did not add any more screw holes to the floor to hold down seats
Attachments:

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9876

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I still have the original Bimini top frame and have the original seats that came out of boat.I would love to have them redone to return the boat to complete original.
But thinkin it over,the original bimini top,you almost had to get down and crawl into the seats..
Attachments:

Re:Introducing myself and my boat 13 years 10 months ago #9877

• Bowwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I just scrubbed the upholstery with warm soap water,died,than used Black Magic on them...Cleaned up like new again.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)