• Page:

TOPIC: Dislocated knee

Dislocated knee 13 years 10 months ago #9463

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, quick update on the 1981 Nordic / 1975 Merc 1500 saga.
Repairs are continuing, and top speed so far has been 39 mph.
I ordered the water pressure gauge and it just came in.

The Made-in-China knockoff off the jumbo dog towable finally bit the dust and tore a leak in one of the side chambers so we bit the bullet and bought a O'Brien Super Screamer towable.

Held back-to-back beach parties for my 2 sons (12 and 15) with their own group of friends Wednesday and Thursday respectively.
"Racing Stripes" was the highlight of both days as we towed the tubes, and had a great time on the reservoir. I have got to set up a ride-along with a mechanic as it takes surgical precision to get the motor to not die when we try to go from dead stop to full throttle..

:S Monday night before all of this, my dear wife got her new wetsuit in the mail and had to take the boat out for an evening test run right before sunset. She popped right up on her skis like someone who has been doing it since age 12 would, cleared the wake under perfect smooth evening lake conditions, and then promptly wiped out as she started cutting back in. I circled back and she breathlessly said "Call 911!"

I chuckled, know her to be a ski-pig, and joked, "What, you had an overdose of fun?!" Then she leaned back in the water. Her left knee was completely dislocated.

Immediately I grabbed the recharge-able air horn, but too many pranks by my boys with early morning wake ups meant it was good for only one good yelp and then it was spent. Fortunately I keep multiple backups. I grabbed my neck whistle and blew an SOS and got the attention of another boater. His boat had a low flat ski transom on the back of his inboard, and he had his cellphone. While I got them to call 911, I gave my son a quick review of the controls. He had not yet completed the safety course that would legally permit him to drive, but this was an emergency.

I jumped to the other boat and hauled my wife out of the water on to the low transom and we idled back quickly to the waiting ramp, with Rangers, Firefighters, and EMT's all waiting at the shore.

We managed to get her up on her one good leg and hopped her onto the small floating dock and the ambulance gurney.

I tossed my van keys to a ranger and he fetched my boat trailer. My oldest son rode the ambulance while I secured the boat and drove home quickly to offload the younger son (and his friend) at the friend's parents house.

My wife had completely torn several ligaments in her knee, but no broken bones. She'll need surgery in 6 weeks and she is in a temporary cast until Monday when she is fitted with a better leg brace. They had to cut off her brand new wetsuit and bathing suit at the ER.

The Ranger shorted out my trailer lights (he plugged them in before putting it in the water -- their trailer is all sealed and waterproof) but the lights are working okay now.

2 days after the accident she is hopping one legged on a walker to hang out the beach parties while I did all the work and ran the boat. Now she is hopping around at the office doing her Chiropractor work.

She can't wait to get back on ski's and/or drive the boat so I can ski. Talk about your perfect boating wife. :side: :kiss:

So Fathers Day won't be on the lake, sunburned from 2 days of hosting parties, but we're still working on improvments. Bought a winch and now looking for someone to spot weld it on the trailer. I have some repair work on the trailer wiring too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Dislocated knee 13 years 10 months ago #9466

Wow! What a story!
Good to hear she's up but that's a nasty injury with long term implications.

I haven't gone skiing for about 40 years. I'd love to do it but the possible consequences hold me back.

Too bad about the weekend but you probably wouldn't want to be out on Chat or Cherry this weekend anyway. Have you called Pat at Vintage Outboard about your throttle issue? If he can't help he'll refer.

Peter
in Littleton
to be precise.

Re:Dislocated knee 13 years 10 months ago #9475

That is quite a story Lawrence. I'm just glad she's okay!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)