Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just acquired a 1960 Red Fish, looking for advice.

Just acquired a 1960 Red Fish, looking for advice. 13 years 11 months ago #8937

I just got a 1960 Red Fish Shark, with a 1960 McCullough Royal Scott 43.7 HP. It seems to be a really good boat, very little use and always stored inside. Very clean and complete.
I don't have any experience with outboards and haven't been around boats much since I was a teenager (35 years ago).
I'm a hands on, do it myself kind of guy, (old cars) but I've been wanting a finned ski boat all my adult life and this Red Fish is exactly what I have been looking for. I plan to keep it as close to original as possible.
Can ya'll recommend some technical manuals for the boat and the motor? I'd love to find a set of owners manuals or even copies.
I have a few questions. I don't want to mess anything up.
1. Is the powered side of the starter positive or negative?
2. Is there anything I should do before trying to start the motor (like oil in the spark plug holes)?
3. The motor control cables seem very stiff. What kind of lubrication and best way to do it?
I'm so glad to find this group to help me enjoy this neat little boat. I'm in NE Texas, about 60 miles from Clarksville.
Thanks for your help.
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Just acquired a 1960 Red Fish, looking for advice. 13 years 11 months ago #8945

It's always nice to hear that somebody else is resurrecting a Red Fish. The most important thing to do is to enjoy the restoration process and don't give up. You'll be so proud of your boat when you get it on the water, and A Red Fish with fins is a people-magnet at the loading ramp and on the lake.
My boat has a Mercury Mark 58AE on its transom, so I can't help you with the power plant - but others here will.
I've used graphite mixed with alcohol on sticky cables, but then I'm kind of old-fashioned, and I'm sure there are more modern ways to lubricate the cables. You might take apart the controls, clean and lubricate them, and then see if it's still stiff. Might not be the cables at all.
Enjoy!

Re:Just acquired a 1960 Red Fish, looking for advice. 13 years 11 months ago #8948

welcome aboard!

Boat manufacturer's typically did not publish or print owner's manuals and/or operation manuals. Outboard motor manufacturer's did print such manuals. Watch ebay. not sure if the Ken Cooke firm has Scott stuff or not. Google 'em and find out.

Here's a link to a Scott-Atwater webpage: www.scott-atwater.com/History.htm

There is a history of Red Fish and some literature in the Library section of this website.

Andreas

Re:Just acquired a 1960 Red Fish, looking for advice. 13 years 11 months ago #8951

Welcome!
While I haven't done it myself - it seems intuitive that cable lubricant for motorcycles would be appropriate and perhaps the fittings they sell for lubricating motorcycle cables would be appropriate as well.

Peter
in Denver

Re:Just acquired a 1960 Red Fish, looking for advice. 13 years 11 months ago #9045

well, on the control cables for the motor...

you can get a PVC pipe seal one end, the other put a end cap that would screw in to seal, lay the cables down in to the pvc pipe get a couple of gallons of liquid PB Blaster pour it in the pvc tube that you have made, seal it and lay it down.

give it a roll or two during the day, for a couple of days and afterwords they should be loosen right up.

H.

Re:Just acquired a 1960 Red Fish, looking for advice. 13 years 11 months ago #9049

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Change the impeller for sure, they get out of shape and dry up after a while. Good luck.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)