Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Painting / GelCoat near Detroit?

Painting / GelCoat near Detroit? 13 years 10 months ago #8610

Hello all,

Haven't been to the site in quite some time. Wow, lot's of changes!

I inherited a 1960 MFG Niagra which is in dire need of some new skin. The deck is to the point now where buffing and waxing are pretty much of no use (oxidation), and the hull has yellowed to the point of embarrassment. The deck has some minor damage to the fiberglass (where my grandather pulled away from the dock still tied up, resulting in some cracking, etc).

When I visited the classics section of the Detroit Boat Show last year, a very nice gentleman told me I was almost better off going with a really nice paint job, rather than going the gelcoat route again. I'm all about keeping the original look of this gal going, but from what I've seen for quotes so far, I doubt my budget could handle getting the gelcoat reapplied. Any comments on this topic are appreciated.

Now, the best quote I've gotten so far has been $2500 to get the deck painted that lovely shade of red, the hull white and the engine a coat of white.

Does anyone happen to know of a shop which does excellent work with both marine fiberglass repair and paint/gelcoat, near Detroit, MI? I'd like to come in under $2500 as like most folks in Michigan, I'm cash strapped, but that may be a pipedream.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Painting / GelCoat near Detroit? 13 years 10 months ago #8671

Give Invision Boat Works; Saginaw Michigan a call. They did a good job on my Carlson and were reasonably price.

Re: Painting / GelCoat near Detroit? 13 years 10 months ago #8673

Did you go with a new gelcoat or paint? Would you happen to have any pictures of the finished product?

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)