Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transom Repair

Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8593

Is purchasing a boat w/ a weak transom is this a bad idea?
I want to experience redoing a boat..
I want a Glastron GT 150 or 160....Several I have ran across have weak transoms.
Is it hard to seperate the boat?
I do have rooom to do this, just curious if it more of a headachce than saving my $$$ and purchacing one that is near mint?

ALSO...anyone have a good website to get more info on the GT's from the 70's
Interested in knowing if they made one that will handle a 150hp Motor..... :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8606

Well... that's like saying you want to experience childbirth. When it's over you love the results but you don't have to go through it to know that the process is painful and messy.

Others here may disagree but I'd suggest you find the best example you can and try to avoid the heavy lifting. There are many to choose from...spending more up front saves a bundle later. Remember, too, that the better boat will likely have good upholstery and the injection molded trim that you can't replace will be there and in good shape. These later boats are more difficult to restore than the 50's boats that were simple and used off the shelf trim and accessories.

Finally - look around at all the "stalled projects". Boats that were purchased with the intent to restore - then the reality of the job and expense hit home.
It's really easy to dive in...swimming to shore is hard :~)

Here's the site you seek -
www.classicglastron.com/

UPDATE: I just ran across the street to Classicglastron to see what's on the sale board. This one is sold but they're out there - I don't know the price it went for but whatever it was rest assured you can't restore one for what it brought.

www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2606

Peter
in Denver

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8609

One that I have inquired on...
Transom weak with 2 cracks..guessing sides of motor mount...overall rest of boat I am being told is in good shape.
Interior still intact..was told that it was useable but would need re-done

I know there are several methods out there to redo a transom w/o actually seperating the boat to fix....

I did find an older Chrysler Hydro Vee that has been sitting for sometime....The HydroVee i am scared that as long as it has been sitting the foam and runners could be bad..

I am wanting to redo an old boat that would be fiberglassic....
or maybe I'll have to wait it out.

I understand the importance of sinking or swimming....

looking for anyone elses theories...

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8611

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Just remember that fiberglass 'project boats' are a dime a dozen out there- Wait 'till you find just the right one. You've got to really like the boat for some reason- not just because it's cheap, or what is there at the moment... You will put a lot of sweat and money into the project.

A weak transom isn't a deal killer- LOTS of older fiberglass boats need rotten transoms replaced. It's a pretty major project, but if you really like the boat, go for it. Otherwise, move on.

-Andrew

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8617

Glastron GT150's are rated or 90 hp max and the GT160'S are rated for 120 hp max .
i have a 72 GT160 which i restored with a prop rated 1987 115 merc which from what i was told is a older version 140 hp ( great motor )
IMHO a 150 hp motor will be dangerous on either models . my GT160 develops chine walk at 54 mph and only gets worse the faster you push it .
as far as rebuilding one they are pretty much a typical 70's boat , the top comes off very easy, the transoms mostly are shot but are easy to replace as are the floors and stringers .
if your determined to redo one , make sure all the trim pieces are there because replacement ones are very hard to come by , the windshield especially and for the GT160 the front bucket seats which are all but extinct.
you can buy a near mint one which there arent many or you can redo one and take pride in how well it comes out and how much time you spend answering questions at the launch ramp and enjoying the thumbs up you get from all the other boaters .
or you could spend your hard earned money on a new white blob (a new boat that looks like all the other new boats lol )
here is a video of my GT and a friends GT in the low 50's and hes got his chine walk on .

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8625

there was a guy at silver lake that brought a older 150 ,he was trying to sell it,i told him to put it here in the glassifieds,maybe someone that was there knows who he is and can get in touch with him,i "think"it was a 1969,the seats were way back.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8627

i just looked at the one for sale on the glastron link and its for sale again

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8638

I agree that the best advice would be to spend a couple extra bucks finding the cherriest example you can. They are out there. But then ya still have to keep your fingers crossed?

On the other hand. From a restoration standpoint. Glastrons are relatively easy and inexpensive to work on.

Good luck!

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8642

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
THANKX everyone...I am still open to ideas...
i am trying to get some pics of a couple different ones before driving all over...
Living in Illinois isn't the best area to hunt for that treasure do to not very large water areas...
I will do some looking..

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8648

Milkawhat???

You, my friend, live in the Land of Plenty. Il, WI, MN, MI .

Try doing this in the High Desert!

You'll have no trouble finding a nice example within a days drive. Remember, too, that even finding the best you can and paying more doesn't mean it won't have needs...but you are buying a better chance that the needs won't be extreme. Just know that every time they say - "needs upholstery" a thousand dollar bill just went floating out the window.

Peter
High and Dry
in Denver

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8659

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
1 - GREAT video Gil, thanks. If that doesn't satisfy one's "need for speed", I don't know what will.

2 - Matt, Peter is right, you live right on the outskirts of "the motherload"! Another great site for finding Glastrons is forum.cgoamn.com/index.php . Great bunch of folks just north of you, and they post listings every day from craig's list, etc. on what's available all over North America!

Good luck with your treasure hunt. Take your time and look around as much as you can stand. There are some really good deals out there right now with the economy being like it is. Follow the advise of the others trying to help you here, you won't regret it!

Mark

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8664

If those decks are easily separated from the hull, and you have an inner and outer skin, seacast is great. I did mine with seacast. My transom will never rot, and it can stop bullets too.

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8696

john-gibson wrote:

i just looked at the one for sale on the glastron link and its for sale again

where do i find this glastron link?

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8697

jim18611865 wrote:

If those decks are easily separated from the hull, and you have an inner and outer skin, seacast is great. I did mine with seacast. My transom will never rot, and it can stop bullets too.

have already read over a few articles on the Sea cast.....looks like a good move.

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8703

I also did a poured transom on my 58 Skagit 20 using Nida Core pourable transom compound. I will vouch for the bullet proof nature of a solid composite cored transom. After glass is placed over it, your left with a substantial transom that will outlive the hull IMHO.

Mike Russon

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8709

I used a pourable 'ceramic' transom compound to seat my laminated composite board, and fill the flare in the corners of the hull. Worked great. Solid as a rock.
Attachments:

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8710

Nuther pic.
Attachments:

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8713

CAUTION! Do NOT make the new transom too thick! I almost did. Duh! Ended up having to grind every last bit of old goo off the back of the splashwell. And probly a lil glass too, but we got her on. Looked like a real dumb*ss the first time my buddies were helping me reset the top btw lemme tell ya. Heh heh.

Good luck!

Re:Transom Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8718

I must add, cuz it bothers me just lookin at it. That the plywood around the gunnals where the deck meets was replaced with 1/2" starboard.

I cut & clamped the starboard into place first. Predrilled pilot holes for the screws. Then took it off & 5200'd & screwed it back on.

Little anal I suppose but I'd like to believe it stiffens up the gunnals a bit?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)