• Page:

TOPIC: What size air compressor?

What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8345

• hotdogger
  • hotdogger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm thinking about getting an air compressor and using air tools. Do any of you have suggestions on what size, make, etc. to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8359

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Doug. What do you intend to use it for mainly? And how much do you plan to use it? Those would be two major factors in determining what size unit you would need. I bought a 2hp 15gal tank Campbell Hausfield (spelling?)unit about five years ago I'm pretty well pleased with. It doesn't see a LOT of use, but will run a 1/2" drive impact, (gotta be patient and let it build pressure if you are tackling a stubborn axle bolt or something). Inflates tires, blows out carb passages, rotates car/pickup tires, etc. just fine.
If you're planning on using it for anything major, I would recommend something bigger, at least a 5hp 35gal tank unit. I would shop around for the best price at WalMart type stores, Northern Tools, Harbor Freight, etc. I try to stay away from the off brand, el-cheapo stuff as you usually "get what you pay for".

Mark

Re:What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8390

This is one of those times topically when bigger really is better.
If your going to be running air tools; think nothing less than two stage compressor with the largest capacity tank you can get.

My first step is to look in the yellow pages to see if there is a shop in the area who specializes in fixing compressors and see what models they may carry. That way, you always have access to parts and service.
Plus they can give you tips on the industrial models to look for and which to avoid. Should mention, avoid the oil-less models.

Off the top of my head I'd be looking for a
Rol-Aire
Champion
Ingersol-Rand
There are others

I bought a two stage champion for 400 some time back.
It needed a little TLC, but the price was a far cry from the 1500 base price new.
Most of the time, it sits around taking up space.
It is absolute overkill for the occasional tire
But when I fire up the plasma cutter or grab the DA,
she is indispensable!

Keep your eye on Craigs
Tho I hate to say it, there are alot of guys out there hurting for cash.
You are likely to find a good deal. Today, there are three models listed I would consider for around 800. Could probably bring one home for 6.

best to ya
lar

Re:What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8414

I have a 50 Gallon Kobalt that i got from lowes about 5 years ago...use the heck out of it and its worked flawlessly since day one!

Ive ran die grinders, air sanders, paint guns, impacts and pretty much everything else under the sun and ive never had to let it play "catch up".

Re:What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8436

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
This is going back quite a few years (mid 1970's) but I did work in a shop that had a blast cabinet. the 5hp 3ph unit that was there when I started would not keep up...the 10hp 3ph unit it was replaced with did just fine. Tank size was very similar but I don't remember what that size was (over 50 gallons, though). If planning on blasting that might be of use. Another comment. If you are planning on painting with it the rotary designs seem to produce less moisture in the output. They don't remove the need for a dryer but do help.
Aside from those possibilities, look at the pressure and CFM specs on the tools you'll be using and go with at least a matching CFM spec on the compressor and the tool that requires the highest volume of air (going higher won't hurt you...going lower will make to take breaks to allow the compressor to catch up). Also get an adjustable pressure regulator and and use it to match the suggested pressure for the tool in use. Higher pressure than suggested may be a slight advantage if you are pushing the limits of an impact wrench, but in just about every other application all it does is wear out the tool quicker.

Re:What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8477

For a home shop I'ld recomend 2-3 hp with as the largest tank you have room for. The large tanks are not so good for inflating a bike tire, takes longer to charge, I use a small 12V compressor for this. On my Jeep I used an AC compressor converted to pump up toys and tires quickly. Sears has a Craftsman 30gal on sale I've been looking at.

Re:What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8495

If you're gonna be using air tools and spray gun, go with the 80gal tank. There's nothing worse than waiting for the air to recharge!!

Re:What size air compressor? 13 years 10 months ago #8594

• hotdogger
  • hotdogger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow! Great advice!

Thanks guys!

Doug

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)