Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Splatter paint

Splatter paint 10 years 8 months ago #83441

'59 Jet Deville interior structural work finally done. Seat bases were removed, and the waterlogged foam tossed. The bottom had developed a hook in it, so I jacked it flat and glassed in some new, stronger stringers. The seat bases were reinstalled, and now function as air tanks. I rolled on white gel coat, and would like to recreate the original red and black splatter paint. What's the best method?
TIA,
Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 8 months ago #83442

in my opinion for what that's worth,lol,you might want to try dipping your brush in the paint and then holding the brush upside down,hit it against your hand,letting the paint splatter on the surface.
I would practice this on scrap material,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 8 months ago #83453

we used to get similar results by spraying unthined laquer with a binks7...sprayed it on while the panel was still wet then cleared it...called it cobwebbing....once painted the sides of a 57 ford conv plum crazy with gold cobwebbing for a customer....man was it ugly

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 8 months ago #83467

home depot sells splatter paint in spray cans. iv'e seen brown and white, red and white, black white. manufacture by duplicolor. www.google.com/search?q=splatter%20spray%20paint&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp ron

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 8 months ago #83488

I did mine with Rustoleum enamel like John said. Bought a pair of latex gloves from the Dollar store and dipped and just pulled the bristles back with the gloves on then let them go. Practice on a piece of wood first so you know how much spatter you want etc..

Bob

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84037

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure what method I'll use. It was proposed to me by a local fibreglass repair guy that I mix up some colored gelcoat, don't thin it, and blow it through a paint gun at varying pressures til I get the desired splatter effect.
Does anyone know how the boat manufacturers did splatter paint back in the day?
Larry

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84056

They used a product called webbing solution. you mix it 50/50 with gel coat use mekp at 2% and spray it on you can find it on the net just look up webbing solution

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84150

I am going to be dealing with the same thing on my Glastron. How did they do it originally?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84167

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Not sure how many used it but Zolatone paint is made for that effect, and there are a couple threads on how to re-create the effect. Here's one of them; www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/nylox-spatter-paint

Mark

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84175

I used Zolatone on my Seafair Sedan and got good results. Glasspar actually used the same product back in the day.

www.zolatoneaim.com/

This is Apollo Grey before clear coat. Surface is a bit rough but still cleans up easily and is very durable.
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84176

The fleck size can be adjusted by gun pressure.
Here after the clear coat which smoothes it out nicely.
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84178

Close up.
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84179

In 59 Glasspar used a two tone with a darker grey zolatone on the floor
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84181

I have used the "Splatter" with the tip and flick by hitting the back of your hand and letting it fly. It works good after ya figure it out, but tends to be uneven. just the nature of the beast you really can't control where it flies. I saw one of Bills boats that he spider-webbed with an additive in gel-coat.. It looked great I will probably be doing that on my next project. I used "Rustoleum American Accents" on my Larson. First a coat of grey Epoxy base coat, 7 cans of Rustoleum, then a clear coat with a nuling agent so it wouldn't have a gloss, but would keep the accent paint from coming off. I think it looked good, but cost about $600 by the time I was done. Don't think I would do it again.
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84185

good to see ya jerry....seems to me the technique depends a lot on the type of splatter we want to duplicate...my 1960 red fish is white inside with turquoise specks....kinda plain....could be done with a paintbrush or a change of air pressure or viscosity....my 1961 red fish has this really cool cobwebbing that is a little more challenging....john
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84186

Hi John, I see even though both of us were almost original members, to the "new" management we're Jr. boarders. I did the 58 FireFlite with spatter. Very cheap, looks good, except there tends to be heavy and light areas. Looks like you figured out how to do it. I like the webbing.
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84458

My boat is splatter painted inside but I haven't done anything do it yet. My original seat boards were too though, and when I had new seats made, I replicated it the best I could. Painted the boards white, then took a toothbrush and putty knife, dipped the brush lightly in the paint and then pulled it across the putty knife.

As others have said, make sure to practice on a board first.

One thing to watch- the paint that accumulates on the putty knife. You need to clean it off every now and then or else you'll get big drips from that all over your job.

I did white base coat with black and red splatter.

1958 Cutter Avon 17', '59 Johnson Fat Fifty, Yellow on Yellow, original Riverdale trailer
1990 Harris Sunliner 200SX pontoon, '90 Force 35, Blue on Blue, '98 Hoosier trailer

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84466

hi jerry...always did like your boat....sorry I can't take credit for the splatters on mine....my pics are the original...just as red fish made it back in 60/61 john

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84476

I used "Zolatone" on our 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan this past spring. It originally came with the MEDUSA GRAY color on the floors so that is the color I used. I had to sand down the old white floor and then use "Zolatone" Primer before putting on the actual color. Also,...you start with the color first then reduce the pressure on the spray gun to get the "spatter" or "flecks" to show up. Here are some photos of the work:
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 7 months ago #84477

Another "tip" for any of the members here that want to try and use the "Zolatone" Product.

I was told by a Glasspar Boater that you could use one of the
smaller HVLP (High Volume, Low Pressure) Spray Guns. Well, I am here to tell you that IN MY OPINION they DO NOT WORK with
"Zolatone!" I used a "DeVillbis" HVLP Gun and that spray gun
REPEATEDLY would clog up after about 20-30 seconds!

So,..a friend of mine who does fiberglass and boat restoration work for a living recommended the old "pot" style paint spray gun with at LEAST a 1.8 nozzle. I am happy to report that older style gun worked GREAT with no problems at all.

Here is a picture of that style paint spray gun:
Attachments:

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 5 months ago #87244

I got great results by using a WallPaper Paste Brush. Fewer Bristles. I only wetted about 1/4" of the bristles.

I also used a piece of wood to hit against the brush instead of hitting the brush against the wood. I found I got better control of the splatter that way. I too used a White Background with a "Baby Blue" Splatter.

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 5 months ago #87247

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
On a sidenote, I too performed a splatter paint process. I first painted the entire bottom of the boat's interior with a light gray paint. Then I used "Dupont Spatter Paint - Gray w/ White Fleck". One it dried completly, I painted it with Rustoleum Spar Varnish to seal. I am very pleased with the results.

Regards,

StevieB

Re:Splatter paint 10 years 5 months ago #87347

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I did my Glastron with a little bit of the topcoat and some grey primer. I applied it with a HVLP paint gun with the pressure turned almost all the way down. It worked great and the paint will travel horizontally to reach the tough areas.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)