Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Shell Lake gets her feet wet!

The Shell Lake gets her feet wet! 13 years 10 months ago #8236

I have significant doubts that this boat is a Shell Lake. The evidence is mounting that it's a Johnson (not the tri-hull from the 60's). There is essentially no info out there about this boat.

Either way here are some pics of her "float" day. Just wanted to see how she'd sit with everything on.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:The Shell Lake gets her feet wet! 13 years 10 months ago #8239

That sure looks like a Club Lido. I have 1957 that I'm restoring. Heres a pic with just primer on it and someone else's restored
Mike aka pathfinderz1
Attachments:

Re:The Shell Lake gets her feet wet! 13 years 10 months ago #8250

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Whatever it is it sure is a nice looking boat !! You've got to be pleased :)

Re:The Shell Lake gets her feet wet! 13 years 10 months ago #8251

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Medic 1
Thats ONE fine ride. She looks great like so many of the boats posted on this site! Thanks for posting and enjoy your new ride.
Pete

Re:The Shell Lake gets her feet wet! 13 years 10 months ago #8335

While researching Rhinelander, WI area boat builders, I came across reference to "Johnson Manufacturing Co." at Spirit, WI (due west of Tomahawk on highway 86). This reference was in a newspaper article dated 09 March 1960 in The Rhinelander Daily News. Johnson Manufacturing Co. made fiberglass boats. This is the only informaiton contained in the article about Johnson fiberglass boats.

Could this be the builder of your boat???

I do not have any other information.

Andreas

Re:The Shell Lake gets her feet wet! 13 years 10 months ago #8352

The mystery continues! I'm really regreting having put "Shell Lake" decals on the stern. Now that you have found reference to an actual Johnson company (other than the outboard maker) I think the evidence is irrefutable. I had thought that maybe the "Johnson" decal beneath the white paint on the other boat could have been related to the motor, as in "...featuring a Johnson outboard!" but the font is wrong.
So we've got:
#1. A nameless double cockpit runabout in Washington.
#2. A nearly identical runabout, also in Washington, without any badging or lables, but with a title stating "1959 Johnson"
#3. An runabout identical to #2 with a "Johnson" decal on the side beneath the paint.

I think it's safe to say I've got my hands on a 195? Johnson from Spirit, WI. I'm still awaiting a reply from Futura Industries (formerly Colotrym Aluminum) regarding the only other bit of info found on one of these boats. My guess is that Colotrym made an aluminum tube or channel that forms the support for the foredeck of the boat.

Amazing that there seems to be no information on Johnson Manufacturing Co. Just thing, somewhere there is a guy in his seventies or eighties that made this boat. Additionally there must be folks that sold them and folks that bought and enjoyed them.

Here's a shout out to all you Wisconsonites to keep your eyes and ears open for any reference to a Johnson Manufacturing Co.

Thanks for all the help.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)