• Page:

TOPIC: lucked out with the banshee grinding

lucked out with the banshee grinding 13 years 11 months ago #8142

• tyeechaser
  • tyeechaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Very strange. Seafoam green gelcoat with three layers of white paint on top of hull. Medium blue gelcoat deck with two coats of blue paint. On a whim I put some Jasco paint and stain remover ( the nasty stuff with almost water like consistency) and the result was amazing! Took all the paint off but left the original primer and didn't impact the gelcoat at all. I am left with a babybutt surface that will need only ding filling and final sanding before primer/sealer coat. Took me one quart and about an hour to do the work shown. I tested the deck and got the same result. I'm really please I don't have to do the grind and dust thing. I'll pick up a gallon tomorrow and continue the process. A flexible putty knife worked great for removal. Then wash with water. Simple.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:lucked out with the banshee grinding 13 years 11 months ago #8151

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad to hear that's working out for you TC. Sure beats all the manual labor the grinding requires, and a lot less dust, huh. You may want to consider getting a $10 roll of plastic "drop cloth" from the hardware store to make cleaning up the removal site easier, just a thought. Keep us posted on your progress, okay?!

Mark

Re:lucked out with the banshee grinding 13 years 11 months ago #8155

hi tyee,may i make a suggestion?instead of using a puddy knife try using auto body puddy spreaders made from plastic,they are more likely not to scratch the hull.
the job your doing looks good,at this pace you will be done in no time,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:lucked out with the banshee grinding 13 years 11 months ago #8159

Mike - Wow that is so much better than sanding and grinding! I don't think you've achieved EPA Superfund status yet, but keep at it!

Brian ;)

Re:lucked out with the banshee grinding 13 years 10 months ago #8184

• tyeechaser
  • tyeechaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the tips guys. Will pull out the big pieces of blue tarp I have and get it under the boat. (When it quits pouring rain. We have a "pinapple express" here on the Oregon Coast. 3" of rain in two days. Hope we get summer sometime soon.
John Gibson. What type of primer do you shoot. I'm looking for a two part primer/sealer. Reco's?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)