• Page:

TOPIC: painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray

painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8055

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
while my wife and i masked off the sunray for bottom paint ,ed and mom sanded the little dude trailer,i clear coated the inside of the boat,then primered and then painted the trailer to match the sunray,then clearcoated it,as soon as i took the picture of the finished trailer it rained on the still wet clearcoat,so its going to look crappy at silver lake but im running out of time ,so the sunray will definatly not be ready for silver lake on the 4th but oh well,i gave it a good try.ill still bring it but dont expect too much.darn depressing.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8059

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sorry to hear about the weather woes John, that's one of the things we have no control over. And hey, it still looks a lot better than it did!

Mark

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8060

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark,i know,but all that work for nothing,oh well i have to put it back together,and after silver lake ,when i paint the motor ill repaint the trailer.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8068

Sorry to hear about the paint John That darn product gets expensive :( Off the wall question why were all the old boat trailers built with a tilt for?

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8073

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks 67,yeah about 500 bucks including the paint for the bottom,and the trailer tilt i think was to make it easier to load,my seaking cruiser had it too,but i never used it.
if you tilt the trailer the back end goes under water further,ive seen guys do it then drive their boat on to it,but i was never that good,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8078

On small boats you can even use a tilt trailer to launch without a ramp. Simply back up to the shoreline and tilt it to unload. The opposite for loading. Using it on a ramp often allows you to leave your trailer wheels out of the water. The moment when the bearing cools off as it enters the water is when it sucks all the water in. Avoiding the necessity to submerge it will prolongue the bearing life.

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8079

john-gibson wrote:

while my wife and i masked off the sunray for bottom paint ,ed and mom sanded the little dude trailer,i clear coated the inside of the boat,then primered and then painted the trailer to match the sunray,then clearcoated it,as soon as i took the picture of the finished trailer it rained on the still wet clearcoat,so its going to look crappy at silver lake but im running out of time ,so the sunray will definatly not be ready for silver lake on the 4th but oh well,i gave it a good try.ill still bring it but dont expect too much.darn depressing.

Looks good mt me John. Rained here last night too, good thing I took the battery charger out of the boat!

Bring anything you need to do to the boat to Silver Lake, I'd be glad to lend a hand. I'll be bringing a full compliment of tools.

I know about darn depressing John. We must be brothers... :laugh:

Frank

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8081

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks frank but it rained just as i took the pic,just sprinkles at 1st ,but enough to screw it up,then before it was compleaty dry it rained hard,i hate to go out to look at it.
that may be a good idea,lol,ive had mom and ed help for 2 days and my wife yeterday,now im back on my own,but they were alot of help.
i think my wife feels bad for me,because i had to finish the front porch and do the boat at the same time.plus with my screwed up heart ,bad lungs and bad knees,it has taken a big toll on me.
heck frank i already knew we were brothers,we are both nuts to do do this,in the shape we are in,lol.
yesterday my right knee popped out and that was my good knee,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8082

I'll bring general tools, and a bunch of wiring stuff with me John. I'm about as equipped as a guy can be, but I can't bring my three rolling tool boxes. :lol:

I sure hope yer knee is okay John! My back is not in great shape, but like your heart & lungs, it's just something I have to live with.

We plan on getting to the motel probably mid-afternoon Friday.

Good luck with everything. See ya in a few days.

Frank

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8091

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks frank im going to bring some stuff too,i dont know if i have enough time to clean up,buff and install the windsheild,i might bring it with me.
the knees are better today,but ill be back under that boat soon to put on the bottom paint,we had to mask the entire boat to do it,if i hadnt of run out of white this would all be done,oh well.im also going to resand the fenders on the trailer and hopefully i just have to clear coat,if not the fenders will be white,lol.
we are leaving sometime friday morning ,might get there the same time as you,if i get the boat painted ,and the boat trailer back together,then loaded on the low boy.

---Mark Twain

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8093

Sounds good John, best of luck. You know we're on the 2nd floor in this motel right?

I really dunno if I'll get this motor workin before coming over, so don't feel bad, I might not be able to go boating unless it's with my new trolling motor. And trolling is not really what I had intended for this boat!

Frank

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8096

john-gibson wrote:

thanks mark,i know,but all that work for nothing,oh well i have to put it back together,and after silver lake ,when i paint the motor ill repaint the trailer.john

I'm not so sure all that work was for nothing. Back "in the day" people would pay BIG $$$$ for a custom paint job like that and the weather did it for free!

Striping by Roth, paint by Mother Nature! :D

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8097

hey guys...my boat is available as always...geez somebodys got to use it.
Attachments:

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8105

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys but i give up,i sanded down the clear coat that was heavily pockmarked and blistered,then reclearcoated it it looked good,10 minutes later it poured rain ,i think somebody hates me,the weather radar was clear when i did it but it was a cloud burst,i didnt ven have time to get the compressor in before it got soaked too.
frank you have enough to worry about,im bringing it as it is and im going to have fun if it kills me.but i really do thank all of you for the support.
ron,thanks buddy but i wont even drive anybodys vehicle but my own,i dont want to hurt somebody elses .
the part thats really bad and makes it hurt worse is this is mom and eds boat,if it were mine i wouldnt worry so much.
at least i got the bottom paint on but its not as white as the top.

---Mark Twain

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 11 months ago #8106

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
by the way thanks silver ghost and nice to meet you.john

---Mark Twain

Re:painted and clearcoated the trailer for sunray 13 years 10 months ago #8281

John,

What did you use for paint/clear coat on the trailer? I'm probably going to start the Aqua Ray trailer in the next week or so.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)