Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Thoughts on Stringer Repair

My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 11 months ago #8044

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 11 months ago #8046

Welcome to FG godelescher...

If I knew your name, I'd call you by it. I didn't see it anywhere in your post. I live in Redding CA (think Lake Shasta & Mt. Shasta)

I know many of your neighbors/fellow boat junkies up that way. Are you familiar with the Northwest Classic Boat club? The have a website that has many active members. I have been to a couple meets up there, the last one at Lake Watcom before they banned 2 cycles from it.

Your post needs to get copied over to the article library - someone or myself will do it, that is if I can recall how to do that.

Can you tell me your experiences using Core Mat, and to what extent can it be used for coring....

Also, Have you ever considered using 5200 or another powerful product to bond the bottom edge of stringers (wood or solid fiberglass) to the hull to prevent shiners & stress areas?

Thanks...

PS - Ice is the best thing you can do for pulled strained muscles early on.

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 11 months ago #8052

Very informative and well written! A lot of good info there.

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 11 months ago #8058

Thanks for the good tips!! Very timely as I have my Banshee stripped down to bare and ready to make new cross members that support the sole (floor). The old ones were 1 1/2" plywood. Should I go with that? Seems a lot easier to cut on a bandsaw than solid wood. They were glassed to the bottom in several places. I will repeat that process. There is one long piece of solid wood (mine has a bit of rot) going down the centerline of the keel on the inside. Can I cut out the rot (about 6" in a position just under the front seat bottom. I was hoping to cut the rot out, replace the wood and glass the whole thing in again.
Speaking of Banshee's do you have a line on the metal pieces that fit on the end of the fins? Both of mine are missing. As are the front seat braces. And the metal hardware pieces at the stern where the steering cables go through the inside of the fins. Oval shaped meatal as I recall.
Sorry bout the back. I'm 71, a Marine Corps Veteran, and just had an MRI on my lower back. Doc said, "good God man, you wrecked yourself and I can't fix it." I laughed. Oh well, I just keep a good supply of muscle relaxants. Hope you heal soon. Thanks for the help.
And to all you vets, Thanks for Keeping America Free.
ps I grew up in Machias. Last year I was up there and didn't recognize Lake Stevens!
Attachments:

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 11 months ago #8071

very good info.i`m starting on a 61 squal king and the stingers are first on the hit list.

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 11 months ago #8080

Great and informative post, I have just purchased a 59 Banshee and sourcing information and tips for it's impending full restoration - it has rotten transom and stringers! so looks like I have my work cut out for me!

Matt

P.S. I am located in Victoria Australia, but don't hold that against me! lol

Restoration project - 1959 Bellboy Banshee with 1960 Evinrude Starflite 75hp

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 11 months ago #8087

This was written by Jamil Mehdi, the same fellow who wrote that excellent ad/article on boat detailing that was copied here from Craigslist a while back.

Peter
in Denver

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8170

So are you telling me I did mine right without even knowing it. Putting the framing back in seemed daunting, so I just layed another layer of woven roving. No more wood. The cut fiberglass was still strong enough to support my weight standing on it.
Attachments:

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8173

Re:My Thoughts on Stringer Repair 13 years 10 months ago #8256

We removed all the rotted wood. We had to cut the existing fiberglass to get it all out. After cutting them we were still able to stand on them. They kept their shape, so we simply went over them with another layer of woven roving. Glued and screwd the new floor on to them.
I don't think I would have done this except for the fact that that was one serious grid under the floor. If it was only stringers I might have opted for new forms.

Nice article.
Thanks
Experience is valuable.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)