Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sharing a clean-up tip

Sharing a clean-up tip 13 years 11 months ago #8003

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Thought I'd pass along a good tip that was passed along by a fellow boater. (Thanks Doug!)

If you've got some older vinyl (seats and upholstery) that's basically in good shape, try using DL hand cleaner on it! Smear it all over the seat, let it set in for 15-30 minutes, and wipe it off with a damp cloth. It really deep cleans the vinyl, plus the lanolin really softens and rejuvenates the material. (Just don't use the abrasive kind). Then follow up with a good protectant like 303, and you'd be amazed at how good it looks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re: Sharing a clean-up tip 13 years 11 months ago #8015

Well this it timely! Today I start cleaning one up and it has salvageable upholstery. I'll give it try!

I'd like to know, though, how lanolin can have an affect on vinyl. I mean vinyl is plastic and theoretically it should be like putting olive oil on a Glad Bag...makes it slippery but doesn't "get into" the plastic.

Any chemists out there who can 'splain?

Re: Sharing a clean-up tip 13 years 11 months ago #8030

When I got the Aqua ray, the original vinyl seats were pretty dry and I was a little bit nervous about them. I use 3M Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer (West Marine) and it did an amazing job. The vinyl feels almost new and is very pliable.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Sharing a clean-up tip 13 years 11 months ago #8035

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm sure the 3M stuff works (probably better), and don't know the chemistry question. I do know it did help their condition a good deal, and it didn't leave the seats slippery after wiping down with a damp towel. I think it was $1.97 for a 14oz tub, which was more in line with my budget. Just trying to pass along frugal solutions to the financially challenged folks such as myself. ;)

Mark

Re:Sharing a clean-up tip 13 years 11 months ago #8040

Well I'm with you on the cost issue :~)
I do wonder sometimes about the 3M products...for instance, I could use something that will restore the vinyl trim to something more closely resembling the white that it was.

Lesley Bleach White was the standby for tires- but that's rubber...what's the right product for vinyl? I have lots of things to protect leather and vinyl from UV - but nothing to restore the "whiteness"

Peter
in the dark
in Denver

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)