Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Peter Crowl.. Something you may be interested in.

Peter Crowl.. Something you may be interested in. 13 years 11 months ago #7881

• classicfins
  • classicfins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Peter Crowl.. Something you may be interested in. 13 years 11 months ago #7920

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
That's a cool boat... I've always thought that they look a bit like spaceships/UFO's- Perhaps they are- That one is in Roswell, NM after all !

Re:Peter Crowl.. Something you may be interested in. 13 years 11 months ago #7928

Did you notice the fracture on the starboard side lower unit?

This one is sad. Leaving them out in the Southwestern Sun for years apparently isn't all that good for them.

I made a deal for one in somewhat better - but also not great - shape in Mesa AZ. I might see if I can buy some bits and pieces off this one and pick them up on the way to get the AZ boat.

The Dual is such a goofy boat. Take the 88 hp 2 stroke outboard and run it through a weak sterndrive. Employ an auto lube system that never did work right, then double down on the resulting noisy boat with sketchy mechanicals that uses a prodigious amount of fuel.

Now you know why I want one!

The heck of it with these boats is that the way they were built if certain parts are nasty they're really hard to restore.
The instrument panel is a good example as are the seats - well the seats are impossible to resore all you can do is recover them but you can't duplicate the originals which were made in a pressurized hot mold.

Another problem is that the decks are textured. The usual methods of restoration result in a smooth deck which is not right. So if the decks are bad it's almost a deal killer. But - those of us who like these behemoths must find a way to restore them and save the texture/seats/instrument panels or we'll have to write off 90% of the remaining inventory.

Some photos of the New Mexico Boat are attached.
Note the time honored 3/8" particle board floor skin attached with Black Drywall Screws !

Peter
in Denver
Attachments:

Re:Peter Crowl.. Something you may be interested in. 13 years 11 months ago #7934

Peter,
Glad you found one! With the rarity of this setup, finding a pristine one is a challennge. This one is pretty rough, but since it is located in Roswell, you could stop by Area 51 and see if any Dual Deluxes are being reverse engineered :P . I agree with Andgott. A large part of the attraction of these boats for me is they look like they come from another star system.

Good luck with the Arizona boat.

Paul
in Chicago

Re:Peter Crowl.. Something you may be interested in. 13 years 11 months ago #7936

The styling is a huge part of it...the incredible effort they went to to make them is another. They really were a pivot point in pleasure craft.

That said chopping a Mr. Fusion unit might be fun :~)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)