• Page:

TOPIC: Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull

Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #7866

• crosbyboat
  • crosbyboat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
One of my favorite photos, this is the bottom of the 61 Manta Ray I restored years ago. Photo is on my MILs computer, but long lost on mine. You can understand the get up and go between the sponsons, step, and tunnel. I just wish they had been built better over all.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #7889

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Nice work!

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #7918

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice... Custom Craft certainly had some interesting hull designs- I'm looking forward to seeing how my Tiger Ray does on the water (though it is going to be a LONG time before she gets wet!)

It does seem that they were a bit lacking in the quality of construction, though. Such complex hull shapes and just not enough 'glass to make it strong. But, I suppose in a way that's a good thing- Fewer boats around today :)

-Andrew

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #8086

crosbyboat wrote:

One of my favorite photos, this is the bottom of the 61 Manta Ray I restored years ago. Photo is on my MILs computer, but long lost on mine. You can understand the get up and go between the sponsons, step, and tunnel. I just wish they had been built better over all.

The fastest boats in the world today use that same step design in the hull.

Way way way ahead of their time.

Construction techniques on alot of these boats were not the best.

The challenges of mass producing a handmade boat. :huh:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #8088

the tunnel part of the hull is extremely strong, hand laid fiberglas on mine. what is weak are the sides. they could of made the front of the sponsons thicker also.
Attachments:

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #8094

Perhaps it wasn't so much poor workmanship as it was a weight and cost concern? Make the sides and front sponsons thicker and the boat is heavier = slower. Additional materials = additional cost.

Maybe the builders of these boats followed the "Rule of the Blouse":

A good hull should be like a woman's shirt: thin enough to arouse interest but thick enough to cover the essentials.

(Ok, so I modified that slightly! LoL)

:laugh:

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #8095

i don't think an additional 100lbs. would of made much difference. i'm sure if they knew of the consequences down the road, they would of added some more mat and resin in those areas.

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 11 months ago #8107

they must have went thicker on the 64 sunray ,i dont see any problems with it,the hull seems pretty thick and the transom is strong and dry.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 10 months ago #8476

The hull on my Manta Ray seems to be strong enough. I had it shipped here on ramp trailer. The pro boat transporters did not bring a 1 7/8" ball mount for the trailer tounge. They tied the end of the tounge to the slot for the forgotten mount. The Mamta Ray & trailer bounced off the semi's ramp trailer during transport. The accident did bend the trailer. The bow was busted up but the bow eye did not fully pull out, wood backer board was rotten dust.

5 holes were punched in the hull from fist size to quarter size. This is the largest on the front sponson.
Attachments:

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 10 months ago #8490

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Dang it, Cat! What did they do to make it right with ya? That's just wrong, think they should change their name. :S

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 10 months ago #8561

I didn't even get a phone call returned. I posted the whole story & more pics at CGOA last Feb. www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2208&p=12028&hilit=nightmare#p12028

Re:Custom Craft Manta Ray Hull 13 years 10 months ago #8574

About 6 years ago, I bought an 18 ft catamaran (sailboat) in Ft Lauderdale, FL. I talked to a couple of "professional" boat transporters about having them bring it north, including one I knew personally. I found them all to be financially and emotionally unstable and didn't trust them. I ended up driving from CT to FL to pick up the boat (4 days down and back).

There are numerous stories around that, but I'll include one. This person said he could bring the boat north in a reasonable time frame. However, he doesn't take checks or credit cards. He would only accept a wire transfer into his account and would not provide me with a receipt. I told him I would think about it and let him know if I was interested. He then started calling me every 15 minutes asking me if I had transferred the money yet. After a couple of those, I told him to forget it. The next morning, the boatyard that recommended him called me up and yelled at me for not giving him the job.

It was worth the drive.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)