• Page:

TOPIC: time for primer and paint on sunray

time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7807

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
well,im drinking my last cup of coffee right now,then its time to mask and primer then paint the sunray,i used to paint alot of cars and some have won 1st place trophys at shows,BUT,that was all done with a siphon gun,this time im going to try to paint with hvlp guns,so wish me luck ,heres goes nothing,lol.
i will post pics as it comes along, john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7810

I bet yer gonna luv that hvlp gun John, and have it come out even better than the old stuff ya did!

Frank

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7848

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well i finally got the primer on,ill never use high build primer again,it wanted to splatter no matter what i did,so its 3:30 pm,next comes the white,seems like a waste lol,it already was white,lol,then the teal and clear

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7862

Looking good. The splatter problem sounds like a gun or mix problem to me. I always use high build primer and have since about 1983, and never had splatter issues if the gun was spraying right. Might want to check the tip to make sure it's clear. Also, if the primer is not shaken or stirred extremely well it can have clumps in it that could cause splatter.

What sanding process are you going to use before you apply the color coats?

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7876

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i finshed the white paint at 8:00pm,i tyred 3 differnt guns ,same problem i tryed everything ,then got my siphon gun and had it done in less then an hour,but i wasted too much paint trying to get the guns to spray right,so i guess im old school,i have to get more white ,i wet sanded it,im afraid it still wont look good after the clear.
tommorrow i hope to get the aqua teal and clear on with the siphon gun,the hvlps are going in the garbage.
i guess you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

---Mark Twain

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7879

I love a siphon gun, always have. Used an hvlp once and didn't like it. I guess I'm an old dog too....

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7883

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
me too,ill stick with the siphon gun,the hvlp just shot big splatters,and i tried 3 different hvlp guns.and every setting there is,i wasted alot of paint and time,as soon as i used the cheap siphon gun it went quick and layed down nice.
its about 4 am,and im getting ready to stripe and mask off the white,so i can 2 tone it with teal.
im sore and tired,mostly been between 11 and 12 hour days and thats just this past week.
by the way here is a before and after shot of the spashwell,it had rust in it it took alot of sanding,and the transom was great except for where someone used the grab handles as tie downs.the wood was good but it indented the fiberglass and gouged the bottom because thats where the rachets banged and rubbed against it. john

---Mark Twain

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7887

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I can hardly wait to see the boat painted. Good luck Mr. Gibson

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7891

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sometimes you gotta "go with what you know" John. (Especially under a deadline.) I'm sure it's going to turn out great, just don't kill yourself in the process buddy. We kinda like having you around, ys know?!

Mark

Re:time for primer and paint on sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7902

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks delray,and you dont have to call me mr.,loljust call me john we are all good friends here,and its a pleasure to meet you delray.
mark yeah,i agree ,im used to siphon guns,and this is kicking my butt, 1st the concrete front porch and at the same time the boat,well at least the porch is done ,it only took over a month,lol.
and thanks mark i like it here ,good honest folks here.
john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted