Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Red Fish Floor Replace-help

Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7721

I started taking out the floor in my Red Fish and under the fiberglass cover is a solid wood floor. It appears to be mahogany and it is laid up in 2" strips about 16" to 6" in length, butted end to end and edge to edge and then covered with about 1/8" fiberglass. Only the tunnel in the center isn't wood. And every piece is as soft and soggy as balsa wood. I was thinking of using mahogany in 2" strips laid 2" or less apart. I would epoxy them in place and then use roving or heavy matting to cover them, also using epoxy. The space between the strips would allow the matting and epoxy to stick to the floor. This actually seems like it would be better than the original but I have never done this. Does anyone have an opinion on this plan? I am new to this and always open to a better idea.
Thanks in advance, Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7740

Mike,
Your boat has no subfloor or stringers right? Just the wood sandwiched between the main hull and a layer of glass? Most of the Redfish boats used a balsa core floor sandwiched in a layer of glass instead of a stringer and subfloor setup. I'm pretty sure if you try to go back with mahogany you're going to have a severe weight difference which may cause problems. Someone else will chime in soon I'm sure. BTW, what model is your redfish and can you post some pics?

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7744

Doug, thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem that 1x2" strips would actually make that much weight difference. I'm glad you said it was balsa because that's exactly what it feels like. I just didn't think it would be. I've never heard of that being used for anything except model airplanes. And to answer you question, no there are no stringers. I'll try to post a few photos and see how it goes.
Thanks, Mike.
Attachments:

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7746

Well I double posted and then only one picture came up. I'll try again. The boat is either a '59 or '60 and I'm thinking the latter. Mike.
Attachments:

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7747

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Edit your message, then add another, then edit again, then ad another if you wish.

Kelly

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7748

Kelly, I don't see anything that says 'edit' when I go to post. Where do I look? Thanks again, Mike.

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7749

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Yup, that's a balsa core, alright!

It's common in boats, actually. I've dealt with lots of them in repairing sailboats. It's light and strong, but if (or should I say WHEN) water gets to it, It's over... Rot city.

You can replace the Balsa with more balsa, or I've also used foam- There are foams out there specifically made for that, If you google replacing balsa core with foam you'll find some answers. The foam will cost 2-3x as much, but never rots.

Mahogany would add a LOT of weight!

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7750

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Mike, you put the first pic in when you make the post, and submit it like you did. When it comes back up to display on your screen, you can then hit the edit button and insert a second picture, and more text if you would like. Then hit submit, and repeat as many times as you would like on the same post.

Mark

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7751

Ahaa. Thank you, Mark. Mike.

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7757

I replaced the balsacore floor in mine, fairly easy to put it in. You can get it in almost any size, thickness, and how big of squares.
Attachments:

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7764

I ordered my last balsa from Express Composites who also happens to be a sponsor for this forum. Here's a link to their page with the contourable 2' x 4' sheets. They seem to have real good prices on it.

www.expresscomposites.com/foamcore.html

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 11 months ago #7778

Doug et al,
Thanks for the replies. I really don't like the idea of putting balsa in again seeing how absorbent the original has been. The foam sounds good but I'll have to contact them to get instructions. How to lay down an even thickness of 1/2" or 3/4" over the whole floor is a question I would have to answer. They must provide a tutorial of some sort I would guess.
I think my original question probably wasn't phrased well. I'm still wondering if I could glass down stringers of something light like spruce and put a floor over that. I don't mean to beat this thing but does it have to be done as original or are alternatives alright?
Thanks for all your help, Mike.

Re:Red Fish Floor Replace-help 13 years 10 months ago #8580

from the rotted floor pic it looks a lot like like a 17ft. offshore. look in research then redfish check out 1961 brochures. found out mine to be 1961 17ft offshore. bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)