Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How'd I do?

How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7274

• JayJ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been watching local classifieds for a couple years, and haven't seen anything that interested me that the seller wasn't asking for my first born in exchange.
Found this on Craigslist a couple weeks ago, and after talking to the seller, and looking at pictures, and not having the time to drive to the other side of the state, I mailed a check, hoping that it wouldn't be a disappointment when I saw it in person.
Had a scenic drive through the Ocala National Forest, wife and daughter got to spend a couple hours at Ormond Beach, and I am very happy with whatI brought home.
1960 Glassmaster 15', early '60s Gale 60hp, and I believe a Gator trailer. Ready to hit the water for $600. I would have preferred a boat a couple years earlier with fins, but I'm not complaining.
Other than the back seat being rotten it's great. No soft spots in the floor, and the transom is perfect. The top is a little rough, but will keep the sun off us this Summer, and will be a perfect pattern to sew a replacement. I even found the side curtains and rear that snap on to it, stored under the seat, in great shape.
If anyone has any info on these I'd love to see what the original seats looked like. Now I have to get rid of the '58 LoneStar Holiday project to keep my wife off my back. Cheap if anyone is interested.

Working on pictures. One minute.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7275

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
You did great!! Nice boat

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7276

She looks great! Those Gale's have nice styling.
Ready to run beats a never ending project any day :~)

Peter
in Denver

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7277

• JayJ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I couldn't resist hitting a couple spots with polishing compound, and it looks like it will shine up pretty good. The gel coat is covered in very fine cracks in places, but far less noticeable after some cleaning and polishing.

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7388

Looks to be a 1960 Gale Sovereign from the the hood styling. 1961 was slightly different.

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7871

• JayJ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I got a chance to play with the boat today. The motor fired right up and ran great. Unfortunately, I need a new shear pin, so I didn't get to run it. Probably a good thing since I didn't get a chance to register it this week, and the Sheriff's department was heavy on the river today.

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7872

You did good. Bow light and staff are worth a third what you paid for everything. PLEASE, before you head out, at least get a new impellar installed. If it started, wonderful, but unless you know when the impellar was replaced, put a new one in. Believe OMC parts are interchangable with Gale.

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7875

• JayJ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
That was the first thing I looked at. Plenty of water pumping.

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7878

JayJ wrote:

That was the first thing I looked at. Plenty of water pumping.

Id replace the impeller regardless of how well it pumps water. First thing i do on any new motor whether it needs it or not. More often that not, they are fine but if that motors been siting for a while, there is a chance the impeller could be on its way out soon. They dont really give any signs of when they will go out...replacing it every 2-3 years is a safe bet though that you wont have any cooling problems.

A 10 dollar impeller is cheap insurance considering what it costs to rebuild a powerhead! :blink:

Id say you did VERY well on your purchase though!! The motor alone is worth the price you paid. Trying to find a running, nearly ready to go boat for 600 dollars around here is like finding gold on the sidewalk! :laugh: WAY cool bowlight on that too! Can we get a close up shot of it???

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7919

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice! You've got to love (Or should I say HATE) craigslist... $600 is a great price for anything that'll get you on the water, and she looks like a classic that'll clean up well!

In the meantime, you can still keep an eye out for that dream boat with fins...

I'd be all over that Holiday, But I think I need to get a few of my projects done first, Unless I want to deal with a messy divorce :)

-Andrew

Re:How'd I do? 13 years 11 months ago #7938

• JayJ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
[/quote]
:laugh: WAY cool bowlight on that too! Can we get a close up shot of it???[/quote]

Perfect day for the river.

The motor is real clean.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)