Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which 2-Stroke Oil to use???

Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7230

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I went shopping for a few boat supplies last night, and thought I'd share a dilemma and seek some more experienced advise. The price range on TCW3 two stroke oil (gal jug) runs from $10.95 (house brand) to $26.95 (OMC and/or Merc brand). Since I'm trying to practice moderation in my old age, I went "middle of the road" with Pennzoil's Extended Life Formula synthetic blend ($15.95).

I've always found that when you go with the cheapest anything available, you usually get what you pay for - cheap. Anybody want to chime in on their thoughts about which way to go here? If the high dollar stuff really helps extend the life of a motor, it would make sense in the long run.......right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7231

Frank Robb, who doesn't seem to be on here anymore, is a retired outboard mechanic down in Florida. He did a bunch of controlled tests on a couple outboards, and reported synthetic won hands down Mark. so that is what I am going to start with. I need to get rid of my old gas anyways, and go get some hi test stuff.

Frank

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7233

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
For what its worth....I usta race dirt bikes on a pro level and I apply the same with my boat engine. I use Klotz synthetic and premium gas. Yes its pricy but I dont foul plugs and and the fuel milage is very good. Since I have such a need for speed this helps.

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7235

• MarkS
When I had the '62 Merc 700, I ran Merc Premium oil (and high test gas of course), just wondered. I have heard a lot of good things about the Klotz line of lubes, but it's not available around here. I love the '73 V4 Johnson 115 I've got now, want to make sure it lasts as long as possible! Also using the Sta-Bil Marine formula with every tank, 1 ounce per 6 gal.
(Hope nobody is offended by finding this sacrilegious, just found this very amusing!)
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7238

Mark,

For what it is worth, we use (and sell) only OMC, Merc or Arctic Cat oils at the shop.

That being said, in my non E-Tec outboards I put Merc 50:1 or OMC XD30. In my E-Tecs I run OMC XD50. I have not reprogramed my engines to run on XD100. Reason being is that in our market, we only sell a gallon or 2 of XD100 yearly. It wouldn't pay to stock a quantity of it just for my rentals.

As for fuel, I try to buy non-ethanol 87 octane. Fortunatly, it is available right across the street.

Jim

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7239

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'm a big believer in using good oil, too many friends who are marine techs have told me don't save money with your oil !! I use Merc oil but there's others I'm sure are just as good.

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7245

I run whatevers cheap...usually the 11 dollar a gallon jug stuff from auto zone or walmart. I see zero performance or longevity difference from it to the high dollar synthetic stuff and no more appreciable amount of wear. As along as its TCW3 rated, it's fine.

One has to remember, even the cheapest of oils we have today are vastly better than what was available in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7246

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have heard that even though they meet the spec, they contain other stuff, which pollutes more. I DEFINATELY saw less blue cloud after switching to synthetic. Performance: no idea. Longevity: no idea. Smoke on the water: LESS. So, a few bucks, is money well spent, might make up one bit for what BP is putting in the water. Oh, and if it does help the motor, all the better.

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7247

JerrfyLube wrote:

I run whatevers cheap...usually the 11 dollar a gallon jug stuff from auto zone or walmart. I see zero performance or longevity difference from it to the high dollar synthetic stuff and no more appreciable amount of wear. As along as its TCW3 rated, it's fine.

One has to remember, even the cheapest of oils we have today are vastly better than what was available in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Ditto. I run Wal-Mart SuperTech in my 65 Merc 500.

1970 Glastron V-142 SkiFlite
1965 Merc 500
1968 Merc 500

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #7260

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I use Pennzoil full synthetic. Less smoke, frees sticky rings, keeps carbon buildup away, and its 100% biodegradable, so a heavy mix in an antique outboard doesn't bother me as much anymore. And, its fun to point to the label when a tree hugger starts mouthing off about my dirty polluter. Shuts them right up.

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #9199

• MarkS
Update: I seem to have lost about 500 RPM after switching to the semi-synthetic!? Now that I have a tach that actually works, I plan to do a test this weekend with a tank of the ss mix, and a tank of SuperTech mix both on board at the same time. Will switch tanks and see if it's actually changing the RPM, or if it was just one of those "strange gremlins" that change motor performance sometimes. :unsure:

Mark

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #9200

I started with the walmart stuff.
No trouble. I have a 73' 65HP and a 86' 6HP, both Evinrudes.
I just finished off 2 qts. of the Amsoil 100:1 synthetic, which I used at 75:1 for both engines.
I will be going back to the walmart, just for cost reason alone.
I could see no difference in smoke. None while running, lots of white smoke when starting the 65HP.

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #9581

• MarkS

I plan to do a test this weekend with a tank of the ss mix, and a tank of SuperTech mix both on board at the same time. Will switch tanks and see if it's actually changing the RPM, or if it was just one of those "strange gremlins" that change motor performance sometimes.

Test completed, results are 'bout what we all suspected. No difference except MAYBE a little more smoke at startup on SuperTech

Mark

Re:Which 2-Stroke Oil to use??? 13 years 11 months ago #9608

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
It's not about the smoke, or performance. It's about bearings, rings, rebuild costs, downtime, etc. I'll echo Frank Robb's findings about synthetics, as he tore motors down and inspected for wear. BTW, Pennz full synthetic was 24.99/gal at Menards.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)