• Page:

TOPIC: Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration

Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 11 months ago #6972

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally got my newly purchased 18' Nordic Bubbledeck with a 1975 Mercury Inline-6 home, and after scrubbing away the protective layers of dirt, I got down to business with Meguiar's Fiberglass Restoration kit, a three bottle set of deoxidizer, polish, and wax. Along with a brand new Black and Decker 6" orbital polisher, I spent a day doing all the top surfaces. I took photos not only before and after but how half the bow looked after each step in the process.

I still have a lot more to do, but thought this would be helpful to others curious to see if these products did a good job.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 11 months ago #6994

Those sure are period correct colors! I'm amazed that the upholstery has held up so well.
Ok - it looks better in the photos, but I think we need your observations to flesh it out. The photos alone don't tell - me at least - if the result is better than other methods. Then, too, we'll need to know how it holds up.

How'd you like the buffer?

Peter
in Denver

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 11 months ago #7065

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
B) The buffer was the only reasonably priced one I could find. I bought it at Lowes for $25, and I bought a couple extra foam pads and polishing pads.

I used a separate foam pad for step 1 and 2, and the lambswool for the wax application, and old terrycloth towels for wiping off each of the steps. (Deoxidizer and polish had to be wiped off wet, and the wax wiped off after it had dried to a haze.)

The on/off switch is a bit retarded as its behind a rubber seal, and you can hit on or off accidentally. (comical scene with me covered in wax flung off the pad deleted)

It is not super powerful, but worked well for the application. I watched a few how-to video clips on Youtube before starting.
(My Dad died on our ChrisCraft cabin cruiser when I was 15; carbon-monoxide... so I have had to teach myself how to do man-chores myself over the decades).

For the price, the buffer is a very reasonable value, and I was happy with the results.

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 11 months ago #7066

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
We used Starbrite or some simular brand to clean the vinyl, it was a concentrated cleaner that had to be mixed with water. Here is an example before/after shot on the cushions.
Attachments:

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 11 months ago #7067

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Also this was my first ever attempt and first time with a buffer so I don't have a lot to compare it to. With older cars I just used a lot of elbow grease and rags. I do have some questions about the finish but will put them in a new thread.

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 11 months ago #7564

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
:woohoo: Just to show you, companies DO listen to feedback.
I posted a rave on Meguiars website with the before-after pics, and today I got this in my email!

Hi Lawrence!

I apologize that this email is so late getting to you, I have had a busy week so far! I loved your product rave and especially appreciated the pictures! I sent them to my training rep and he thought that they were great. We always appreciate the great comments and incredible support of our product.

I will be sending you the M5716 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner and the M9214 Metal Polish so that you can complete your project! Thanks for using Meguiars and being a fan, just as we are here!!!

Best,

Valeri Tunnell
Executive Sales Assistant
Meguiar’s Inc.

:cheer: How cool is that! Free stuff to help make my boat look better!

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 11 months ago #7619

That is GREAT free stuff is always good and by the way your boat is looking good also

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 10 months ago #8691

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks I'll post some more pics soon. I want to get a video of me doing a fly-by. Meguiars just shipped me a spray bottle of their vinyl and rubber cleaner and metal polish, and I used their box to ship someone a fish finder I had.

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 10 months ago #8693

That's a great looking boat!!!! My brother's boat needs some refinishing, maybe this will get us motivated!

Re:Before-After with Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration 13 years 10 months ago #8698

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just do it, it was worth an afternoon of hard work; we get a lot of admiring looks! Thanks for the kind words.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)