• Page:

TOPIC: good old gas..........

good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6657

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
hey guys...i cut my grass today in pennsy. last time i cut it was june 08. mower fired right up with 2 yr.old 87 octane gas....no stabilizer either. i'm codfident the merc will do the same as i will be tearin up silver lake. :woohoo:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6659

heck ron ,ya could of kept heading west then a little south to my place,and helped pour concrete satuday,lol,i cant wait to see you and sue at silver ,along with the rest.
i have alot to do and i also have to get the sunray at least painted,and some interior in it by then,probaly bringing it without the motor,it needs painted too,and im running out of time building this darn porch. :angry: :S

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6660

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Ron wrote:

last time i cut it was june 08

You're kidding, right?

Mark

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6663

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
nope......i've become disenchanted with the place and haven't been using it. i want to sell but my wife wants a hideaway in case new york ever gets bombed. we're 8 miles west of manhattan. YES I'M SERIOUS!

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6664

hehe lawn mowers are different then outboards, it would be a hoot if they would make an out board that you could just sit your lawn mower on top of it and...go

hehehe

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6676

Ron - I'd be careful with that logic. Did you run the fuel out of the carbs the last time you ran it?

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6686

There's absolutely no way I'd run 2-year old unstablized gas in an outboard. As a 2-stroke, it relies on the fuel/oil mix to properly lubricate the internals of the engine, unlike your 4-stroke lawnmower where the fuel only sees the valves top of the piston, neither of which are lubricated by the fuel. If the fuel is compromised in any way, either by the oil separating from the gas or from water vapor condensing and being absorbed by the alcohol in the fuel, then you're looking at issues all over the place. Bad things can, and likely will, happen. Even if the motor does run on it, you're not doing it any favors.
- Scott

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6691

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i fogged the engine in october 08 and put stabilizer in the fuel tank.

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6697

I'm dyin to see how this one turns out. I think it will run, although I have poured many a gallon in the tank of my 95 Econoline to mix it with lots of fresh fuel. Never seen smoke from the outboard oil, never fouled a plug in the van.

Worst case you get towed in and put in fresh fuel in IMHO. Can't see engine damage unless the carbs block a jet with varnish. With stabilizer in the fuel I think that is far fetched.

Bernie

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6701

I run my every spring on gas that was last used in the previous fall. I've never added a stabilizer. Don't know if that's good or not though. lol

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6712

vuyosevich wrote:

i fogged the engine in october 08 and put stabilizer in the fuel tank.

Your first post mentioned no stabilizer - but I think that was for the mower gas... That's where I got that.

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6727

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Speaking of old gas.......I was once told that if you add 1oz. of kerosine to a gallon of gas it would put the lead back in it. I used this formula in my 1941 John Deer tractor the engine runs cooler due to the lead.

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6741

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Chinewalker wrote:

There's absolutely no way I'd run 2-year old unstablized gas in an outboard. As a 2-stroke, it relies on the fuel/oil mix to properly lubricate the internals of the engine, unlike your 4-stroke lawnmower where the fuel only sees the valves top of the piston, neither of which are lubricated by the fuel. If the fuel is compromised in any way, either by the oil separating from the gas or from water vapor condensing and being absorbed by the alcohol in the fuel, then you're looking at issues all over the place. Bad things can, and likely will, happen. Even if the motor does run on it, you're not doing it any favors.
- Scott

I just wanted to quote your response Chinewalker so people would read it twice :) good advise.

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6746

I have seen this going one and some many sites. It all comes down to what you want to do. I have used old gas for years in my outboads and snowmobiles and never had a problem.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:good old gas.......... 13 years 11 months ago #6749

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Mike aka pathfinderz1 wrote:

It all comes down to what you want to do.

Exactly! It's one of a number of things we all agree to disagree on. I think the conversations are good though, if one keeps an open mind while listening to other's presentation of opinion, enlightenment is inevitable.

(WHAT?)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted