Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!!

Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6252

• crosbyboat
  • crosbyboat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank told me you were interested in something I have at Frank's place. It's yours, and everything I have that goes with it. Free. I just want a ride in it when you're done. You above all personify what this is all about. And you've been a staunch supporter of this place for years. And, well hell, it sucks you got laid off. It's here when you can get it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6258

Inquiring minds want to know :~)

Re: Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6259

I'll give you a hint:

It has a cat hull and if the motor is set up correctly, water does not come over the transom. :P

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re: Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6260

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Correctamundo....
Attachments:

Re: Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6261

water over the transom...I can handle that, but what about the water skiers over the windshield?

now I know why...why..oh why they didn't want me operating a boat!

could it be...a Womanmerey...or something like that, that crosby talking about?

here a link..tryed to edit twice to show...

skier wake boards over incoming boat

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6267

Wow! Brian... I don't know what to say really. Thanks? Is that even enough for a great deal like this? lol... This is great man! I am really excited. I've always loved those boats but have never been able to get my hands on one. I already have a nice 115 Mercury I've been saving for the right boat and this is it!

Now I have to see what I can do about getting it down here. I'm thinking maybe a pony express thing with some fellow glassheads? I did that once with a boat I bought out of Maryland and it was actually a lot of fun for all involved. We got it as far as Nashville and met up and spent the afternoon shooting the bull and having a good time. It was great.

Ok, let me see what I can work up here. Anyone headed south from NY with an empty trailer? ;) I may just have to sell something right quick and take a road trip. After I rig up a trailer for the cat hulls that is.

Brain, thanks a million. I still don't even know what to say. I'll be in touch. Woohoo! LOL

Doug :)

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6268

They're so cute on Christmas Morning :~)

That really looks nice - even the upholstery is good!

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6269

yep....he got the mantaray fever alright. may i recommend a good paint???? ;)
Attachments:

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6270

vuyosevich wrote:

yep....he got the mantaray fever alright. may i recommend a good paint???? ;)

Can I recommend some good sheet metal screws? LOL.. Just picking with ya' Ron! I just broke the news to my wife and it didn't go bad at all! That's always a plus! ;)

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6277

Oh my she may be in the silent and wait mode...

2 points for Crosby! :whistle:

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6283

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Trust me Doug, it needs a lot of work. But I've already taken it all apart. Vacuumed the transom out...ya, it was like peat moss at best. Saved the seats, upholstery examples, and the windshield is safety glass with the CC logo. A beauty. This model, unlikes Ron's, was major upholstered. Even the hull's interior used vinyl overlay on the glass, not paint. Dash was all padded, etc. The model is MRP instead of the typical MR. Only thing I could think of was Premier. Have the steering wheel, chrome trim, hardware. Once you figure your schedule out I'll start pulling everything together. You are one of the few that can make this what it should be. My barn is full. With the Missile and 18DC almost done, I need to get back and finish the Ranger kitchen boat, and the Penn Yan Cartop.

My next project is the 1956 Century Resorter and it's a big one. But the hull is done. It needs decks, interior, etc. I still need to pick up the engine and running gear. It's got a Chrysler 318. It should really pop when done.
Attachments:

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6288

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's some of the hardware from it. Bow light is not in great shape but the cleats and chocks are good. Should be another chock here someplace. And there is a ton of alunimum trim for the interior. This ride was truly pimped right out of the factory.
Attachments:

Re:Doug Young,-End of JULY.? 13 years 11 months ago #6292

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This is starting to sound like a GOOD STORY. Always liked this model & the Custom Craft history out of upstate NY. Had access to a Merc 115hp the last two yrs myself, but now other interests. Talked about this boat before, but also had a Tiger Ray sitting.

. We are going to Maine in mid July for big canoe seminar, not trailer anything at this time.?? Sure know Brians neighborhood ,as I grew up in the next city/ town over on rt #4.

.. Our lake house is North Chattanooga, I-24 , I-75 merge region.
Larry F. (Also a private back yard storage spot if other members transferring.? Quiet wooded lot)

Re:Doug Young,-End of JULY.? 13 years 11 months ago #6306

Wow! Thanks Larry, this is sounding better and better all the time! This just may be a plan that will work. I know you would hate to make a trip like that and not tow a boat at least one direction! lol...

We'll get together and see what we can work out. I'll have to see about getting a trailer under it. Maybe Brian or Frank can locate me one close to them. I would love to make the trip myself but with money the way it is right now a convoy move would really be better for me. Let me see what I can do on getting a trailer under it and we'll go from there. Thanks!!! :laugh:

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6307

Awesome Brian... This sounds like a boat I'd want to put back as original and not go changing too much on her. Especially with the interior optioned out as it is. Can you be on the lookout for a decent trailer at an affordable price? If I end up having to drive up there myself I can bring my own trailer, but if I do a convoy move I'll need to locate a roadworthy trailer for her.

Doug

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6308

Doug, I have a rebuilt ShipMate trailer I put a 4 X 8 piece of pressure treated plywood on that we put Ron's Custom Craft on, and I believe would work fine for you. I want 150 for it, but could take it in installments... :laugh:

Frank

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6312

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Tell ya what Doug. This thing is coming together, so let me chip in and help too. I can pick her up in Chattanooga, (a little over two hours north of me) and bring it south to Birmingham or so. (I hate to ask, but can you cover the gas cost?) That would make a day's worth of haulin' by the time I got back home, but I'd be glad to do it for you.

PS - It would have to be on a Sat or Sunday.

Mark

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6319

PC1000 wrote:

Doug, I have a rebuilt ShipMate trailer I put a 4 X 8 piece of pressure treated plywood on that we put Ron's Custom Craft on, and I believe would work fine for you. I want 150 for it, but could take it in installments... :laugh:

Frank

Sounds like a bargain to me Frank! That will work out perfect. Looks like I need to start gathering up some money. :) Thanks Frank, I'll be in touch with ya!
Doug

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6320

MarkS wrote:

Tell ya what Doug. This thing is coming together, so let me chip in and help too. I can pick her up in Chattanooga, (a little over two hours north of me) and bring it south to Birmingham or so. (I hate to ask, but can you cover the gas cost?) That would make a day's worth of haulin' by the time I got back home, but I'd be glad to do it for you.

PS - It would have to be on a Sat or Sunday.

Wow Mark! that would be great! Birmingham would make it a very easy weekend trip for me and the Mrs. Of course the gas money is a given. I love it when things go like this. It's what makes this sighht so great.
Doug

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6322

PC1000 wrote:

Frank

frank was doing all the work as i was snapping pictures.

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6324

crosbyboat wrote:

Trust me Doug, it needs a lot of work. But I've already taken it all apart. Vacuumed the transom out...ya, it was like peat moss at best. Saved the seats, upholstery examples, and the windshield is safety glass with the CC logo. A beauty. This model, unlikes Ron's, was major upholstered. Even the hull's interior used vinyl overlay on the glass, not paint. Dash was all padded, etc. The model is MRP instead of the typical MR. Only thing I could think of was Premier. Have the steering wheel, chrome trim, hardware. Once you figure your schedule out I'll start pulling everything together. You are one of the few that can make this what it should be. My barn is full. With the Missile and 18DC almost done, I need to get back and finish the Ranger kitchen boat, and the Penn Yan Cartop.

My next project is the 1956 Century Resorter and it's a big one. But the hull is done. It needs decks, interior, etc. I still need to pick up the engine and running gear. It's got a Chrysler 318. It should really pop when done.

mine just has the upholstered bench seats and padded dash panels.
Attachments:

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6325

Thanks for the pics Ron! that trailer will work great. Also, I actually prefer the bench seats like in yours but it looks like I'll be going back original on this one.

Doug

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6386

yea-know...I got this kind of odd idea...leave it to me...

so far I gathered...Doug has been laid off (I think) so what if we all kind of help him out in piece work...

I know CC has windshields...if he needs one, maybe we can chip in on one for his new project (before it heads south).....

stuff..stuff and more stuff, like rollers and paint brushes to do the restoration with for the fiberglass...I think some one can pick those up on ebay..and have them ship to him..

same thing with a bunch of stuff...crosby can make a shopping list for us and just doing piece work for Doug in the stuff he would need to restore it.

anyone think this is to far out in left field?

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6388

doug,IF and thats a big if,lol,i dont take the sunray to silver lake because its not painted,ill take my lowboy up and bring it to my house in indiana,pa,where you can have someone else pick it up,but even if i take the sunray,you can still have someone bring it down and leave it here,at my house,i might even be able to take it a small distance to meet someone,john.the silver lake trip would be free since im going anyhow,you dont want to pay for gas in my gas hog,9 to 12 mpg,lol

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6397

Sounds interesting John, but how will the boat get from my place to Silver Lake? Looks like furloughs are coming down for state workers like my wife starting next week, and that's going to probably mean we won't be at Silver Lake in early June. Plus I have another boat to drag there anyways if we figure we can make it. Looks like we're gonna be sitting on hard plastic seats for a while...

Frank

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6399

houston wrote:

yea-know...I got this kind of odd idea...leave it to me...

so far I gathered...Doug has been laid off (I think) so what if we all kind of help him out in piece work...

I know CC has windshields...if he needs one, maybe we can chip in on one for his new project (before it heads south).....

stuff..stuff and more stuff, like rollers and paint brushes to do the restoration with for the fiberglass...I think some one can pick those up on ebay..and have them ship to him..

same thing with a bunch of stuff...crosby can make a shopping list for us and just doing piece work for Doug in the stuff he would need to restore it.

anyone think this is to far out in left field?

Thanks for the thought Houston, but the boat has the factory windshield with it. Also, there's no need for anyone to do any shopping for me. I really appreciate the gesture, but I always have materials on hand for boat restos since I am always working on someone bass boat or something like that for extra money. Now, if everyone wanted to start chipping in for new upholstery I might keep my mouth shut. LOL...

Seriously tho, thanks so much for thinking about this, but there is really no need.
Doug

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6400

john-gibson wrote:

doug,IF and thats a big if,lol,i dont take the sunray to silver lake because its not painted,ill take my lowboy up and bring it to my house in indiana,pa,where you can have someone else pick it up,but even if i take the sunray,you can still have someone bring it down and leave it here,at my house,i might even be able to take it a small distance to meet someone,john.the silver lake trip would be free since im going anyhow,you dont want to pay for gas in my gas hog,9 to 12 mpg,lol

Thanks John,
Looks like I'll be able to figure out a way to get it closer to home with all these helpful offers I've been recieving. I'll keep this in mind.
Doug

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6519

if everyone wanted to start chipping in for new upholstery

ok so you need a bolt of fabric?

what color and type would you prefer?

Any ideas on this relay idea? 13 years 11 months ago #6599

Brian and I live just south of Albany NY. Trailer and boat are here at my place, but not "together" just yet. Brian has a bunch of doo-dads for it. I hope to go to Silver Lake early June, but expect to be hauling the Power Cat.

Any ideas guys?

Frank

Re:Any ideas on this relay idea? 13 years 11 months ago #6615

it looks like ill be towing the sunray up,even if it isnt done,ill bring it in peices,lol.
but if you guys want to bring it here ican keep it here awhile,in indiana,pa,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Any ideas on this relay idea? 13 years 11 months ago #6619

Thanks everyone.

Looks like Larry F (aka: Split) will be able to pick it up in mid July on his way back from Maine. That will get it to Tenn which will be much eaiser for me to handle right now financially than a trip all the way to NY and back. Of course, once she is finished I'll have to make a NY run because I owe crosbyboat a ride!

Doug

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6625

Sounds great Doug. Split is a great fellow and I've been hoping to meet him someday. That works better for me too, so I don't have to take any time before Silver Lake to get this stuff ready, and can just concentrate on getting my Power Cat ready.

Keep up the good work there buddy!

Frank

Re:Doug Young, Come On Down! errr...Up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #6643

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Doug, my offer to take the Chattanooga to Birmingham leg of the relay still stands, if you need or want me too. I'd be glad to help, just let me know....?

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted