Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dorsett Catalina

Dorsett Catalina 14 years 1 day ago #5944

I'm looking at a couple of Dorsetts. One in Amarillo and one in Austin. I'm leaning away fromt the Amarillo one because can't seem to get a straight answer from the owner about floor and transom.

The one is Austin is very clean, but the owner says he believes the floor is lose from the stringers in at least one place.

How hard is replacing this floor? I have a little fiber glass experience from when I was a kid.

I've attached one photo of the Amarillo boat.

I live just north of Dallas.

thanks,
randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Dorsett Catalina 14 years 21 hours ago #5996

well, welcome to the site, don't feel bad about the little rocking your gonna get getting use to it....

below the dialogue box where you type in your post, you will see a select image file to attach...and directly below that..select a file..to attach.

if the picture you want to share is one your computer, just find it using the browse "button" and once you find it in the pop-open box you then just select it

one more trick..hit the return key after the end of your post...and then select [/b][/u] and you will see [img] show up one that line. to be really fancy...you then can hit the cursor over (before the [img}) and select the middle lines for "Center" witch will tell the system you want the picture...centered and not set for the left indent which is automatically normal for text... then just hit submit...and walla, sounds complicated but if I typed out how to drive a car around the block, you would read that and give up driving so..welcome to the learning curve...we love pictures! gotta a little thing for dorsetts personally and I would love to see the one your talking about.[IMG][/b][/u] and you will see show up one that line. to be really fancy...you then can hit the cursor over (before the [img}) and select the middle lines for "Center" witch will tell the system you want the picture...centered and not set for the left indent which is automatically normal for text... then just hit submit...and walla, sounds complicated but if I typed out how to drive a car around the block, you would read that and give up driving so..welcome to the learning curve...we love pictures! gotta a little thing for dorsetts personally and I would love to see the one your talking about.[img] show up one that line.

to be really fancy...you then can hit the cursor over (before the [img}) and select the middle lines for "Center" witch will tell the system you want the picture...centered and not set for the left indent which is automatically normal for text...

then just hit submit...and walla, sounds complicated but if I typed out how to drive a car around the block, you would read that and give up driving so..welcome to the learning curve...we love pictures!

gotta a little thing for dorsetts personally and I would love to see the one your talking about.

Re:Dorsett Catalina 14 years 20 hours ago #5997

Ok Ken,
I'll try this again
Attachments:

Re:Dorsett Catalina 14 years 19 hours ago #5999

oh that's one sweet looking boat, there is a guy...-name escapes- right at this moment that can tell you what you could be getting yourself into that has one almost like it, are those twins I see on her stern!

OH MY! :whistle: :ohmy:

Ok Ken,
I'll try this again

....you can call me Ken if you want, but most know me as Houston, I am just "A" unofficial door greeter of sorts.....

Re:Dorsett Catalina 14 years 12 hours ago #6008

I love that boat. I had my chance at a Dorsett and I passed on it because it had a rotten floor and transom. Owner said it was "solid". Yeah, the bar bolted across it was a dead giveaway. And I was a serious rookie at the time. Bottom line is don't trust what the seller says might be "good". Not always because they are trying to rip you off but they might not know. Can you have someone more local look at it?

Re:Dorsett Catalina 14 years 6 hours ago #6024

Houston,
Yes those are twins. I have another photo from the rear and the transom has no obvious cracks etc.

I most likely will not buy it because it is too far for me to make an inspection trip. The guy uses the library computers to communicate and he has never answered me on the condition of the floor and transom. So "buyer beware" :unsure:

Randy

Re:Dorsett Catalina 14 years 6 hours ago #6025

Well Tomahawk I agree with you 100% - since I can't see it and don't know anyone in Amarillo I'll pass on the boat. Not to mention I would have to put tires on the trailer and pack the bearings I'm sure before I could drag it almost 400 miles.
:(

Re:Dorsett Catalina 14 years 5 hours ago #6026

wanna see something really COOL?

there are so many people on this website, that I bet if you asked if any one could go an take a look at it for you, a group of folks would load up on a bus and go look at it to let you know what the boat is like.

I just made a post for "help"....in the "Amarillo Texas" area...people will pop up out of the glassed over wood work to help you!

dude, I am telling you that what makes this site rock!
how the members will help each other out! :whistle:

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6048

I called the guy in Amarillo when it came up for sale a month or so ago. His price at that time was $1000.00, and he said didn't want to come off of that because he said that he probably wouldn't have any problem getting that for it. Then when I saw it a week or so later, it had dropped to $950.00. Then, same thing a week later, it dropped to $850.00.

In my opinion, with the twin motors, twin controls, and if all of the glass is there and intact, it would be well worth $750.00. I wish I were closer to it to go take a look at it for you up close, but unfortunately it's 8 hours away from me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if he would accept an offer of $750.00, I would get it if it were me, if I wanted a Catalina.

I do remember that he said that there was a metal brace on the transom that he thought had been put there to better support the twin motors. Good luck with it if you decide to purchase it... ;)

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6050

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I had one of those, two year restoration. Pics attached.
JAG
Attachments:

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6054

kneeboardingtom - thanks you got more out of the guy than I have, and yes I've seen the one post at $850.00. Most likely I'll keep looking.

Randy :cheer:

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6055

JAG, great looking boat!! Results of some obvious hard work.

:cheer:
Randy

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6885

To all who might look at this boat: Finally got some more pics from the guy. Apparently he tried to remove the twin motors himself (on someone's advice)..anyway, the the entire transom is now ripped out. Glad I saw these previous posts and kept after him before I made a 5 hour trip to go see it.

Best wishes to all.
Attachments:

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6891

sandp328
Thanks for posting, I'm glad I didn't make the trip now either. One thing about the boat was that it was at an old body shop/wrecking yard. My emails with the guy turned me off.

Your five hours from Amarillo?

Randy

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6893

Yes Sir.

Albuquerque

I just found a 1967 Dorsett 26' cabin cruiser in Boulder City, NV. A little bit bigger than I want, but still worth investigating.

He has it on Craigslist and eBay...

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120569239951&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I can't find that Dorsett made a boat that big in 1967 (or any other year, actually)

Re:Dorsett Catalina 13 years 11 months ago #6897

Albuquerque - nice city! I'm down near Dallas.

Yes, I saw that one in NV but too far for me right now - thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)