• Page:

TOPIC: more working on the custom craft sunray

more working on the custom craft sunray 14 years 1 day ago #5902

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i finally got a chance to work on the sunray ,i took off the stainless metal transom plate and transom covers,and found out that there was plywood layed horizonitaly on top under the fiberglass,(built that way)but the transom fiberglass was just begining to peel away from the plywood(the plywood was still in great shape),like a dummy i didnt take before picks,but here is the during and after pics.
i found what i think is a good product,to do it with its polyester fiberglass resin jelly,i guess ill find out if its good in a few years,i hope its at least that long,lol.
the 1st pics are before sanding the others are after primer,before painting it i will feather it in.the pink stuff is a small amount of bondo to fill the pin holes most was sanded off.
i also found out that the rubrail went into the transom,i had to fill those holes too,because i cant find the same rubrail. [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/a_transom_and_hardware_008 [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/a_transom_and_hardware_009.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:got some work done on the sunray 14 years 1 day ago #5905

Glad to see ya got some time to get at the Sunray John. It's like my Power Cat, every step takes ya closer. Keep up the good work.

Frank

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #6298

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
woooo hooooo,i have the front porch done to a point where i cant do anymore on it until i get the corragated metal sheets for under the concrete,so i can finally get some work done on the sunray,this time ill take before and after pics,lol
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #6369

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
the 1st pics are before sanding the bow,the lighting is bad,so click on the pics to enlarge them to see the difference.
these are after 3 and 1/2 hours of hand sanding.
the good news is,the boat is in even better condition then i had thought,very little crazing,it could have been buffed out and looked good,the bad news is im going to pick up the metal decking for the porch today and will be pouring concrete on saturday,i hope i have enough time to at least paint the sunray after that and before the silver lake meet on june 5th,john

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7347

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow,i got alot done on it today with help from the owner ,ed gordon ,my moms fiance,we picked it up and sanded the entire bottom and sides,just a few very minor nicks in it,im happy.
also almost have the porch done just 2 more steps to pour and im done with that and can paint the sunray.the last pic is mom and ed,hes a character,lol
all i have to do is a little more sanding.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7351

ed is a lucky man marrying into your family. :)

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7360

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
geeze ron thanks :blush: ,lol,but we are lucky too to have him,when you guys meet him at silver lake just remember that he jokes ALL the time,hes pretty funny,so dont take anything he says seriosly,lol.
hes a very good guy with a great sense of humor.and he treats mom like a queen.

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7361

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

and he treats mom like a queen

Priority 1!
(Plus, he likes 'Glassic boats with headlights and fins, gotta be a good guy.) LOL

Mark

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7363

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
MarkS wrote:

and he treats mom like a queen

Priority 1!
(Plus, he likes 'Glassic boats with headlights and fins, gotta be a good guy.) LOL

lol your right mark,but he didnt get into old boats until i gave him the fever,now he has 2,a 59 thunderbird chief and this one,the chief is next to do if we can find a trailer someday,we pulled it out of the weeds at silver lake at the place we were staying,the owner gave it to us,it cleaned up good.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7365

Boy, you're doing great John! Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks. Power Cat is almost ready, and other couple days maybe.

Frank

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7366

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks frank,and boy im happy for you,you sure have poured your heart and soul into your cat,we cant wait to see you all too.

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7368

Here's my list John:

caulk bow
put on reg #s
install fenders on trailer (all the lights still work!)
sand metal Power Cat logs, install
sand step plate surrounds, paint, install
install passenger seat

You do the math... ;)

Frank

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7369

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Nice work John looki'n good! And I want the shop your working in mine is gone.

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7373

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frank,your list is still smaller then mine buddy,you can finish them with your eyes closed,lol,i have faith in ya bud.ive seen the great work you do.
thanks delray,i used to have a construction company and built new homes,now i have a damaged heart on the left side,(3 heart attacks,1 clot)and had to sell out,or i would have built it myself,its only 14x24 but its better then working in the basement,lol,i had to make room everywhere i could,i have made fold up tables that hang on the wall,and a 4x8 folding table that hoists up into the rafters,plus everything is on castors,lol,if i hadnt done tht the sunray would not have fit.lol darn i cant post pics.

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7376

Yeah John, but just keep in mind I bought this boat in August of '06. It's been a long time coming buddy.

Frank

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7478

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i got the custom made burgee today,wow,she did a great job,also finished buffing and painting the neptune vintage air horns,now i have to go out and fix my compressor,had to get a new drain petcock,and the air filter broke off,im going to make one from pvc waterline.i hope,lol
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:more working on the custom craft sunray 13 years 11 months ago #7719

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i worked over 12 hours sanding and mostly cleaning the garage yesterday,im just about ready to primer the boat,i just have to get it off the trailer 1st,pics to come soon,john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted