Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Saying goodbye to "old friends"

Saying goodbye to "old friends" 14 years 3 weeks ago #4298

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I took the Starflite out again (2nd voyage) Sunday to test the new prop on Lake Jackson. There were quite a few boats and jet skis on the lake already, as it was mid-day before I got my "stuff" together. The electric choke that worked fine on the first test run malfunctioned, but after several minutes of cranking, the thought of using the manual choke button occurred to me and we (me) were off and running. The new prop didn't seem to make much difference, kinda wish I'd have gone with a 21P instead of the 19P.

Coming back to the boat ramp I passed a pontoon pulling a disabled "bass boat" with an obviously neglected Merc 150 trimmed up. Thought to myself that I should be thankful my Dad preached preventative maintenance. ;) I had tried a different ramp than I usually use, and regretted it when the waves started bashing the Glastron against the bare wood pier, the "no wake" buoys aren't out far enough, IMHO. After some under breath (well I thought so, might have let a few explicatives slip out loud) cursing, a nice lady piloting a Bass Tracker came over and offered her assistance, my faith in mankind (& womankind, loved the pink hat and really appreciated the help) restored once again. (Gotta remember to put those fenders in the boat!)

When I got back to the house about mid-afternoon, (doesn't take long to burn 6 gals of gas in a V4 Johnny), I had an email from a gentleman interested in the Cutter Tornado I had for sale. I responded with my cel number, and we talked for half an hour about the condition on the boat, etc.. He sounded interested, and asked if I could bring it to work with me Monday. I gathered up all the extra hardware, manuals, and stuff for the boat and hooked it to my truck.

He and his wife/girlfriend showed up and checked everything out carefully, and a (cash) deal was struck. As I watched them drive away with my first FiberGlassic, I couldn't help but feel a little sad. Two+ years in my garage and countless hours, good times and bad. Too few hours on the water, wish we'd have spent more time together enjoying the leisure time she was meant to give. At least she went to a good home............ :( :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Saying goodbye to "old friends" 14 years 3 weeks ago #4302

That's a very cool and touching story Mark.

Heck, I'm still working on my 1st "glassic." Originally wanted a G3, got one, realized I would never be able to "do" another glassic, so keeping the Power Cat, trying to get it done, and sold the G3 and Merc 650 to Jim Melanson.

What are you doing on the water without fenders?!? Sheeesh! Hey, I used to have a V-4 Evinrude 115, and it may have gone through gas even quicker than yours. I had these semi-transparent 6 gallon gas tanks and we used to watch the level drop when I WOT it. That was a fun boat (Manatee, '74 maybe), but it was waterlogged (foam under the floor) and I wasn't smart enough to know it.

Did the second coat of primer touch-up this a.m. before work, maybe 10-15 spots. Gonna let it dry real well, then pull it out tomorrow night and wet sand with 400. Did 320 first time around, came out good, but I want a lighter touch this time, as I do NOT want to sand through primer. If I do expose anything, I'll touch it up with primer before topcoat, but I'm hoping after what I've done, I'll be ready for the first coat of topcoat tomorrow night after wet sanding and a good washing. We'll see. Maybe rub rail by month's end?

Frank

Re:Saying goodbye to "old friends" 14 years 3 weeks ago #4312

mark,i know the feeling,i sold my 1st glassic,a 64 seaking cabin cruiser to the neighbor next door,i see it everyday but its not mine anymore,sniff,sniff,oh well we have other projects to keep us busy,like the sunray,but i had to stop working on it,because my wife wants a concrete front porch,im glad i have a small back hoe,im in no shape to dig much,lol.she has 10 days off work starting friday i can feelthe whip already,lol
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Saying goodbye to "old friends" 14 years 2 weeks ago #4343

• MarkS
Thanks guys, didn't mean to come across as a "whuss", but I figured some of y'all could relate. I've cheered myself up by deciding to spend some of the proceeds from the sale on the Starflite. ;) Perfectly FiberGlassic logic, IMHO.

I'm going to get the convertible top out this weekend and make sure it will still fit, maybe get the zippers (rusted out and falling apart) replaced, or see about getting another top made if this one is too far gone. The Georgia sun gets pretty brutal in the summertime.........gotta keep this old guy's balding head from frying.

I finished putting the uv resistant clear polyurethane on the wood step cleats Heather made for me, plan on mounting those soon and giving "props" to Spookeay Marine. :cheer:

We've been short-handed at work the last couple of days, and I'm afraid I've overdone it a little. Pretty sore, but we can't let out day job interfere with our hobby now, can we?!

Mark

Re:Saying goodbye to "old friends" 13 years 10 months ago #9480

• MarkS
Got an email from the person in Michigan that bought the Cutter the other day:

Mark,

So sorry, I forgot about the plate and will send it out this week. You did a great job tuning the motor. We really like the way the Cutter rides and it seems very solid throughout. I will have to rebuild the seat bases before we can use it regularly on our rougher water here, but I have been very busy.

Thanks again for bringing the boat to work. It towed home very well.

John

Kinda made me feel good to know she's alive and well and still scooting around in the waters of Michigan!

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted