Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Sea King restoration

1960 Sea King restoration 14 years 3 weeks ago #3652

Ok, I have not done too much lately. But I’m starting a thread due to the old one being archived. So I have sanded the inner sides of the hull. I have done this to remove the extremely rough texture of the factory fiberglass. It was similar to the texture of a wicker chair. I wanted a smooth finish so, I’m paying the price for that look!!! I’m going to add a layer of 25oz biaxial mating to replace the layer that was removed.

Today’s work… Finished sanding the inner sides. Prepped the seat lids for fiberglassing. I applied one layer of 6oz cloth to the inside of the seat top/lid, (to try & keep moisture from entering through the top, all wood on the inside is sealed in resin too) then mixed some of the urethane flotation foam. Poured the foam in to the low spots you may be able to see in the picture. Installed the seat top & brad nailed it down & applied weights to the top to keep the foam from lifting the seat tops when curing. I also removed all of the hardware from the deck too. I’m going to start removing all of the old plywood from it tomorrow.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 Sea King restoration 14 years 3 weeks ago #3683

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Still looking great. I just can't believe you sanded the texture out of the sides of the boat!!! I have a chip in my paint about the size of a dollar towards the rear, and I'm just going to patch it and paint it. I itch enough after a day of work on mine... Keep up the great work!

Re:1960 Sea King restoration 14 years 3 weeks ago #3717

Thanks Erik, it took about 10+ hours of grinding & sanding to remove that mess from the inner sides! I still need to glass it & then sand some more too. The sad part is even know it’s going to look really nice now… You would never know all that work went into this detail. Then again my knowing is enough for me I guess.

Here are today’s updates… Removed blushing from yesterdays glass work. Removed all of the old wood under the deck. The wood was really dry & brittle! Most of the wood & tape/cloth was barely adhered to each other. So after that I started chiseling off all of the wood that was still hanging on. Then on to some grinding & there is going to be quite a bit of that to be done!!!! It seems that when this boat was made resin was free! The resin is close to ¼” thick on most of the places the wood was attached to. I have like 4 hours of grinding in just ½ of the bow portion. No pic's of that.

Link to archived thread:
www.fiberglassics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2209

Re:1960 Sea King restoration 14 years 2 weeks ago #4015

Here is a small update from Saturdays work. I finished grinding/sanding excess resin on the bow portion under the deck. As I said in my last post… There was So much resin used in this area! It was about ¼” thick under all of the wood. Is that common on these old boats? So about 8-10 hours of grinding/sanding was done there. Next I’m off to the rest of the underside of the deck.

Link to archived thread: www.fiberglassics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2209
Attachments:

Re:1960 Sea King restoration 13 years 7 months ago #16596

Hi guys, its been a long time since I visited the site! I have been pretty busy this summer with work, trips & helping plan our wedding. Now that this is all behind me I’m looking forward to getting back on board here. I did a little work on her a few weeks ago. I will post some pictures soon. I hope every one is well!

Re:1960 Sea King restoration 13 years 6 months ago #16598

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome back Steve, and congrats on getting married. Looking forward to seeing more pics of progress on your project.

Mark

Re:1960 Sea King restoration 13 years 6 months ago #16796

Thanks, I'm looking forward to doing some work on the old girl!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)