Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wanted: Boat selection advice

Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17168

Hello all,

We're new to the site and forum (love it!) and are looking for a good choice for our young family. We have a toddler and a three-year-old. The grandparents have a pontoon boat which like elements of, but would like to get something for ourseleves that's a little different.

We've been drawn to a 16' cuddy cabin fiberglass Superglas Crusader, hoping to extend a short season in Wisconsin...possibly try camping on board if we can all fit. The Dorsetts are very nice too.

Also, we like the Tomahawk as an open boat, might have more room in the cockpit, letting go of the camping idea for more sun for all passengers.

Any advice from experienced fiberglassic owners? We have a sailboat background too, new to motorboating. Have heard I/O's are more expensive to maintain.

Thanks in advance.

Brett and Jen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17184

My recommendation and personal choice is to go with outboard and stay away fro I/O's. Can't tell you how many boats I have seen at the ramp with I/O's that are stuck in the down position. Just my 2 cents. Plus, outboards are a hoot to work on and parts are readily available at Napa etc. Most of all, have fun! Mike

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17187

Welcome to the forums. I to would stick with an outboard and my experiance with classic boats is that your going to end up with more than one. It's a great adventure, enjoy.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17194

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Brett and Jen
Welcome.
My thoughts are get 'em both. Then you have choices.
I have stern drive boats that I have no problems with at all.
It is a matter of keeping them in good mechanical shape. When they work as intended, they will give you and your family hours and hours of boating fun.
The same for the outboards. Anything mechanical takes some maintenance.
Of course these are only my opinions. Either will be able to get your family out on the water and that is the main thing.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17200

brett and jen,welcome aboard,my humble opinion is an out board ,if he motor blows up or something really bad,you can easily replace it,plus an outboard doesnt take away from the room on deck.
i have had both a cabin cruiser and runabouts,i liked my cruiser but i didnt use the cabin at all,and it left little room on deck.thats just my humble opinion,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17216

Get two. The cruiser for the fun now and the runabout for when they want to ski and tube. I still want to get a Dorsett cause I like to stand while I drive which looks funny in a tiny boat. The cruiser is much better for the little kids to bounce around inside out of the sun and nap when they get crabby. Harder to fall out of too.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17219

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
B.P. : WELCOME>. I would say the 16 ft length is going to be a tad short for your family. Had the 17 1/2 ft Glasspar Sedan for a few years & they get tight with 4 adults. A movable port a potty (Camping item) is good to have with young kids. Even a 65 hp outboard is good match. I agree with Tomahawk on the higher sides.
. Also nice to find is the Sunliner or hard top (Phaeton) in the Glasspar mfg , a new chapter forming in mid -west also to consider. Aristo - craft was another mfg with hard top . A few nice early 80's Glastron had cuddy cabins . Let us know what you find or even steal at this time of year up there .!

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17229

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The Cruisers are cool little boats but hard to find at least in my area .Split named a good one . The Aristocraft . Do a serach for them .They have next to no wood in them so if your new you wont have to be replacing floors or transoms .They have higher sides and are as big as a house inside .I love mine . It gets alot of attention to !! Mines a Funliner that a Guy gave me without a trailer or motor . With a 80hp Merc she will run around 40 and tow skiers all day ..Heres Mine

The Evinrude in the picture is gone . Speaking of Motors Im partial to outboards over a IO . There easier to work on ,lighter ,ya get more room in the boat And if the worst happens or you need more HP Hit Craigs list and find a different one . If ya blow one in the morning you can swap them out and be back running by Sun set or earlier .Ya ever pull a straight 6 or a V8 out of a boat ..I didnt enjoy those times ..But these are just my oppions ..Have Fun !!!

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17239

One thought to add, we also wanted to keep from having to get a larger vehicle to tow this boat. We currently have a Subaru Forester which I believe can tow up to 2500 lbs. We just don't want to take a big hit on mpg for all the other trips without the boat.

Thanks everyone!

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17316

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I got one like Bobo's. I pull it with a 98 explorer v-6 4.0 ..Pulls it like a top. What size motor does the subaru have?

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17325

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey bputney
Are you in WI to ?? I just saw a Aritocraft on Craigs list for free ..Needed work but didnt look to awfull ..Wheres Prairie du sac ..?? Ive been threw there but cant remember .. Im in Rhinelander ..

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17328

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Heres a Pic of the free bee ..
The Trailer wasnt free but he was going to sell that and the Motor to I think .. Maybe he would cut you a deal on it complete ..
Attachments:

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17331

what year is that aristocraft? it looks different then i have seen before,like..it doesnt have the swept back windshield.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17337

If there are any hills where you are, then you will be buyinga new vehicle.
My Dakota, towing capacity of 5000 is showing signs of transmission trouble. But it is a Chrysler product.
I am towing a 2500 setup.
I have an approx 2 mile hill getting home though.

We have friends in NJ who pull a 4 Winns with their Forester. That boat must be 3000 lbs. easily. But it is very flat in the NJ area, and it is only towed 2X per year.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17338

Can you include the URL, please? I can't find it on Craig's List.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17339

I think 2.5l 4 cyl boxer, but we're selling it this weekend. Gotta find a new vehicle! May rent a truck to tow a new boat purchase, just to get it home. New vehicle by spring for boating.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17340

If there are any hills where you are, then you will be buyinga new vehicle.
My Dakota, towing capacity of 5000 is showing signs of transmission trouble. But it is a Chrysler product.

hey take it easy on my dodge truck,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17341

Prairie du Sac is about 45 minutes NW of Madison.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #17358

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
what year is that aristocraft? it looks different then i have seen before,like..it doesnt have the swept back windshield.

Now that you mention it it does look different ..Im not a 100% sure it is .But Its free if the guy still got it ..Thats the best type ..L.O.L..Heres a link to the add ..

wausau.craigslist.org/boa/1987713311.html

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #18576

That AristoCraft looks like a Nineteen without the hard top. I'm guessing it's later 1970's. If you can find a hard top for it, it would be good for a 2 yr old.

Another thought, if you don't mind wood is a Sea Skiff. They have very high sides are quite roomy, have a bimini top and can take rough water.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #18581

Welcome to our little world of madness. OK you asked for comments, so here goes. If you decide to get a boat - that's great! However, you must realize that the purchase of the boat is just the start of your expenses. Just ask any one who owns one.

You will need all the safety gear, ropes, bumpers, anchor, Registration, insurance, etc. etc. on & on.

Your little Forrester is an awesome car, but it wasn't designed to tow a boat that will meet your wants. It isn't the engine power you need to be worried about - it's the towing capacity. The ability of the brake system to stop the loaded boat & trailer ALONG with the loaded car is the most important factor. Funny, how often that is the last concern of people buying a tow vehicle.

I'm not trying to discourage you - it's just important to think about the whole Enchilada before getting your start. Boats are expensive to have, buth then again if you use the boat, it's worth it.

Re:Wanted: Boat selection advice 13 years 6 months ago #18594

I too have a young family. The greatest thing for us is to have a nice cool place for my boys(8 and 2) as well as my girlfriends two kids(4 and 2) to get out of the sun or wind. The cabin becomes their little floating playhouse. The 19' is a great size for us. True there isn't much towing that a little subi could do. My uncle has had several and towed his motorcycle with them but even that stressed it quite a bit and he had issues with the transmission as well as rear IFS setup.

Attachments:

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady