Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Aero-Craft History

Aero-Craft History 13 years 6 months ago #16690

I'm looking for more info about the early years at Aero-Craft. I recently purchased a little 12 foot boat. I was told it is a 1948 Aero-Craft DD Runabout. It seems someone has added some thin mahogany to the decks which I kinda like though it probably lowers it's value some. Anyway I've found a few links but not much detail about this boat. In several other photos of boats similar to mine the transom isn't straight like mine is, maybe that was modified too. Not sure if that makes mine older or newer or a different model.

Any feedback you could offer would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Aero-Craft History 13 years 6 months ago #16692

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I can not help with the history, but that is one cool boat.
Welcome aboard and nice buy!!

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Aero-Craft History 13 years 6 months ago #16713

A history of the company that built AeroCraft boats (Harwill) and successors was published in the May/June 2007 issue of "Classic Boating" magazine. This magazine is published at Oconomowoc, WI. They do not have a website.

There are some AeroCraft brochures in the Classic Library section here on this website.

Andreas

Re:Aero-Craft History 13 years 6 months ago #16750

Thanks for the help so far.

I've found some basic info about the company on the internet and info about newer boats but very little about the early days. Especially about the boat I have, most of what I have found is from the previous owner of my boat. It would be nice to confirm what it actually is.

Thanks

Re:Aero-Craft History 13 years 6 months ago #16777

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
That is a DD, it should say D or DD on that square tag on the front dashboard. I have two of them, they are neat boats. Aerocraft made that funky (mechanical looking) chine from the earliest days through the mid 1950s and then changed the bow to a more gentle slope but kept the rest of the boats the same.

That style of boat was offered in 12' regular and decked (A), 14' regular open boat and decked (D), and a 16'regular and decked (H- I think) and the 17' JCC cabin cruiser and on up to 19' back to an open boat- someone in the club has a 19 footer.

I have an AD and two DD models, no pictures of the DD but here is a picture of my AD, it's a shrunk down version of the DD, measures 11 1/2 feet
Attachments:

Re:Aero-Craft History 13 years 6 months ago #16778

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
That is a DD, it should say D or DD on that square tag on the front dashboard. I have two of them, they are neat boats. Aerocraft made that funky (mechanical looking) chine from the earliest days through the mid 1950s and then changed the bow to a more gentle slope but kept the rest of the boats the same.

That style of boat was offered in 12' regular and decked (A), 14' regular open boat and decked (D), and a 16'regular and decked (H- I think) and the 17' JCC cabin cruiser and on up to 19' back to an open boat- someone in the club has a 19 footer.

I have an AD and two DD models, no pictures of the DD but here is a picture of my AD, it's a shrunk down version of the DD, measures 11 1/2 feet
Attachments:

Re:Aero-Craft History 13 years 6 months ago #16788

Thanks for the info.

Mine has a square plate but I don't see the model info. It looks to be copper and has the logo like yours has near the transom. What does your square plate look like?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)