Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: sinking of the herters

sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16656

GO to this web site to see the sinking of the herters elifino3.shutterfly.com/pictures/169

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16658

OK, there has to be a "rest of the story"

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16660

The Herters that sank was MINE. It was at the dock and apparently the wind was getting stronger and made the water rougher and water started coming into the two motor well drains, filling the motor well, and rushed it into the cable access, rushing it into the floor of the boat. Everyone scampered out of the boat and luckily the captain's meeting was just over and about 20 guys and gals on the dock grabbed ropes and threw them around the boat and one guy (Damen) jumped in the water with his lifebelt on and secured the ropes to the cleats, etc. and they were able to hoist the boat up from under water (even the top of the windshield was completely under water). Then the Dale Hollow Marine crew were there nearly immediately, with their pump boat and began pumping water out, with everyone holding onto the ropes until the water was out.

Actually, after the boat dried out, we took the motor cover off and dried off the plugs and after about an hour and a half, the motor started up and runs fine now. We drove it back around the other end of the marina and put it on the trailer. No scratches or anything! Sort of miracle. We sure had a lot of help from a lot of the boaters. They did a wonderful job, helping save our boat

Re:sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16661

WOW! your lucky it happened dockside with lots of help around.

I've been laughed at for putting 2 auto bilges in the little Manta Ray. Before I drilled the new drain holes, a 20 min rain shower filled the hull with water, well above the seats.

Re:sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16664

in 1988 my dad bought a brand new sunbird cuddy cabin,we used just about 5 times then he sold it,the guy that bought didnt listen to my dad,and he diconected the battery,while it was at dock for days,with out a cover,the pumps of course never worked and it sank,it wasnt even a year old.
haynes im glad it turned out ok fo you,it would be a great loss to lose a herters,.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16717

I'm in the process of restoring a 58 Herters. Is this the same boat that was at the Beloit show a couple of weeks ago? Glad it all turned out for the good. I'm wondering if you used any floatation foam at all for this boat? I really have my doubts if the original amount of foam I found in mine would have floated this boat anyhow. I have been debating using foam but I think your pictures have certainly convinced me.

Re:sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16737

yes is was the same boat that was at Beloit yes i did put floatation in the tailelight cavity an in the back of the front seat cavity an a bloke of floatation in the bow area

Haynes fiberglass

Re:sinking of the herters 13 years 6 months ago #16743

That sounds a lot like the original foam placement I found in my boat. I could not believe that would float the boat and I see now it will not. thanks for the information.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)