Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: should I buy it????

should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16075

I found this on my local craigslist for 800.00 it is all there buick v6 omc outdrive, it was backed into a dock and the outdrive ring is cracked , also needs motor rebuilt and seats and so on . but it does have all gauges and the motor for the power windshield is there, and it is rolling on the original johnson trailer..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16076

I like those old Johnson boats. It doesn't look too bad either!

Frank

Re:should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16182

Sure, but don't pay $800. I've sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist in the past few years. In most cases Craigslist was the last stop before it went out on the curb. The seller may be glad to take almost anything for it. It could be expensive to restore that boat so bid low and see what happens.

Re:should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16188

^^^^ i agree

cool lookin boat though

Re:should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16273

I agree - if it DIDN'T need the engine done and have outdrive issues, then it might be worth close to the asking price, but those boats have such a small niche following that the prices just aren't there for "collector" value. A lot more of them out there than people collecting them...

Re:should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16276

Don't forget....you will have to do something with the trailer....tires, axle, etc. and even before you can even haul it off!

Don't pay much....$250.....You're gonna spend at least:

$750 on the trailer
$1000 on the engine/outdrive
$? Labor dollars.....100 hours?
I'm assuming you dont have to replace tansom & interior....but that's assuming a lot!

You're gonna turn around an find you have about $4K in a finished product....

Maybe you should find one that someone has already spent $5-6K refinishing it on Craigs list and you buy it for $2K.

See....the problem with restoring old boats and cars.....you'll usually never get your money out of it....however, it does feel good to get your hands dirty and accomplish things. "Look what I did!"

I know....I'm hard headed too. I have my restoration projects too. Little by little I spend more money on them and eventually get them done. For example: 1946 CJ-2A - been restoring it for 16 years now...occasionally it runs and I get to use it....I've spent $6K on it in 16 years. Right now the motor is blown....That will take $2K and well...may as well rebuild the tranny & transfer case and while the engine is out....right? That's another $2K....Right? Plus, I haven't touched 2 old boat restoration projects that I have....Good luck to you!

- Einsteinlivesintexas

Re:should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16278

Sorry for such a bummer attitude! I was just trying to make a point! I don't want anyone to be discouraged in restoration projects. I think they are a great way to get say your son or another neighbor hood youth involved in the learning process. As they say "An idle mind is a terrible thing to waste!" - Einsteinlivesintexas

Re:should I buy it???? 13 years 7 months ago #16328

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
If you like it then offer the guy $400 or less and leave your phone number with him so he has time to think about it and not feel preassured, have it ready on a card. Chances are he will call you to accept your offer when it dosent sell and he might counter your offer but just stay firm on your offer. Think about converting it to an outboard boat with a 100hp Merc. In time you can make it look beautiful and that original gel should shine up. Its kinda like the boat you sold to huck (that boat was clean) this can be clean too.
I kinda wish I bought the one that was for sale here local 2 years ago. I think they were asking something like $800 too but maybe more in the same condition. To me the bow shot looks like a car and very cool and rare. I have not seen any more on my local CL in a LOOOONG time. I bought a glasspar this year for cheap, the guy wanted alot more then I thought it was worth. I made a offer that was half of what he wanted, sure enough 2 months later he called me out of the blue and wanted me to "jump" on my offer. I got it the next day :blush:
Good luck. Remember there are many boats in the sea, Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)