Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '66 MFG Niagara restoration project

'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15504

I got this baby for $20!! I'm gonna redo the transom, and the ski rack floors, but she's in awsome shape!! Nearly all fiberglass, only structural wood is the transom. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find the original convertable top for this bad boy!!?? Or one that would at least look nice & work well. Also, she's rated for a 50HP, but with trim tabs & a permanent bow tank to counter balance her, how much more HP could I put on her while staying within the realm sanity?? s101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/lonewolf8814/boats%20n%20stuff/MFG/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15509

Congrats...
Very much like my '67 MFG Westfield.
Pour a new transom.. very easy. Here is how I did mine:

www.raylinrestoration.com/BoatStuff/MFG-Transom/index.htm

Can't help you on the top- other than to say it wasn't anything "special". You can buy a generic bimini top from many sources (eBay, Bass-Pro, West Marine catalog).
Since you don't have the snaps along the top of the windshield- you won't need a "custom" built one.

HP: "legally" you can't go higher than the rating. Coast Guard usually doesn't bother you.. but the registrar might when you register it (some states require an inspection).

With a new transom, I'd say you're fairly safe to 90HP.. simply from a weight standpoint. But an updated 60-70HP (mid 70's-80's) will push the boat to 35/40mph just fine. A good cupped prop and you can ski two-up with no problems.

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15514

Yeah, I was thinking somewhere in the 60something HP range .. I gotta '66 super sea horse (33HP)I'm gonna have on it most the time, I'm just on the lookout for a good '66 outboard with a bit more juice (for special occasions)and wasn't sure what HP limit I should keep in mind. I'm only 5'4" 140lbs, and the perm bow tank is gonna be about 15 gallons so with the hull design being like it is I figured it'd give me quite a bit of leeway weight wise. This baby has a factory permant tank set up in the bow, which wasn't even available for this model, but was custom ordered (it was a corps of engineers patrol boat!!), that's gonna have an effect on the HP rating since it's based alot on weight distribution, right?

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15515

If you decide you do not need or want those trim tabs - PLEASE contact me! My little boat has a set but they are in very bad shape. I would be very grateful!! :)

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15516

How much did that nidabond stuff end up costing you?

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15517

I actually was going to get rid of them when I first got it, cause I thought they were missing hardware (actuators & such)and they're rare & thus impossible to find parts for. In fact, your long ago post was the only online mention of them I'd found (I take it wally didn't come through with the $40 in the box set?). But I've since learned that they're manually adjusted & mine are complete. So right now I'm gonna see how well they work. If not so good, I'll contact you, promise!

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15525

No, unfortunately that set was too big. :( The set you have matches the numbers of the set I have.

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15532

lonewolf8814 wrote:

How much did that nidabond stuff end up costing you?

I think they are $131 for a 5-gallon pail. My transom needed (8) gallons, so I bought (2) 5'ers. Had some left over that I've used for various things like filling corners of my bench seat, etc...

www.nida-core.com/english/nordprod_nidabond_transom.htm

The thing that you save the most is TIME... I really think I could do my transom in 4-working hours now that I know what to do.

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #15542

THX, their website didn't say any prices. I've looked at all thier products ... some very cool stuff I'll likely try out if I get that much $ to work with. At the moment though, I've already got some marine ply & the wife wasn't too happy about the price there ... she'd bust a forehead vein over that nidabond stuff!! LOL! Oh, & that westfield ya got ... gorgeous man!! Well done!!

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 7 months ago #16157

Well, I've been looking into that pourable transom stuff .... turns out there's several different brands, but they're all basically the same thing= polyester resin and glass microspheres or microballoons . Ya can buy the glass MS/b by the bucket & mix it yourself for 1/4 the cost of the name brand stuff. I gotta find data on the mix ratio though.
Someone along the way put carpet in her ... I don't like it. I wanna get it back to the original, which was a white textured & rubberized kinda deal, similar to rhino. It's still in good shape, but I gotta figure out how to get the glue from the carpet off w/o harming the floor. Any suggestions?

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 6 months ago #17389

Does nobody have any ideas on how to remove glue without hurting the floor?

Re:'66 MFG Niagara restoration project 13 years 6 months ago #17391

It depends on what tthey used to glue the carpet down. My MFG also had glued-in carpet, even though the floor was fine. They used construction adhesive. I was not able to get anything to remove it (easily).. But I liked the carpet anyway- so didn't try too hard.

For a start, I would try (in order): Mineral spirits, Kerosene, Enamel Reducer, and finally lacquer thinner. Just put some on a rag and start rubbing. If it softens the glue and/or removes it, move up to laying a thinner-soaked rag over a small (unseen)area (under the bow, under the seats, etc) and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 3-5 minutes. It should "lift" the glue so it can be scraped off with a plastic body-filler spreader. Then you can finish the area with a rag.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)