Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question

1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #15500

Hello,
Now that I've taken up the floor of my 1959 MFG celeron, Craigslist find, I am asking myself, What was I thinking?! This is a boat with a lot of wood before MFG went all fiberglass. It has an aluminum keel that is bolted through the body to the keelson which is now very rotten. Before I start digging I wondered if anyone out there has any suggestions, such as: what type of wood to use for replacement, how to seal the holes for the bolts, and any other general advice about this repair or about this specific boat. I would greatly appreciate any advice at this point. (See attachment)
Thank you Paul
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #15502

I know nothing specific about MFG boat construction and details.

For wood species, use a good high quality all-heartwood of a decay resistant species. White oak is a traditional structural species used in wooden boat construction. It is a good choice for a keelson.

Do not use sapwood of any species, it has no decay resistance.

I suppose Philippine mahogany and all-heartwood Douglas fir/larch are suitable. Various cedar species and cypress have good decay resistance but less strength than white oak.

Use the existing piece as a pattern for making a new one.

3M5200 or 3M4200 is probably a good caulk/adhesive bedding compound to utilze in this situation.

Andreas

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #15520

Thank you, That sounds like good advice. I measured the keelson in all dimensions with bolt holes and all and salvaged enough pieces
to make a pattern but it basically fell apart once I started digging. Paul

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #15521

Thank you, That sounds like good advice. I measured the keelson in all dimensions with bolt holes and all and salvaged enough pieces
to make a pattern but it basically fell apart once I started digging. Paul
Attachments:

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #15796

Boy, that looks familiar. Glad to know that's the "keelson." I haven't made the necessary repair, but this is exactly the problem with my 1954 MFG Cambridge, although the keel itself is also wood in that case.

Here are some images of my boat - and its rotted keelson - Here

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #16006

Hello, It looks like we're in the same boat so to speak but not exactly. I think the MFG boats evolved interestingly.
Mating fiberglass to wood was totally new and difficult task. Your boat (And, belive me I am no expert) appears to be an early attempt
to create a platform for seats and other things that would attach to the hull. A very daunting problem when you think about it.
It appears that they wrapped some of the wood in fiberglass and that could be your most difficult problem; though I'm sure there are
some smart guys out there that could figure it out. By the time they produced the 59 Celeron it they had worked some of these things out;
though, not everything. We have different but similar problems. Replacing all the rotten wood seems to be the way to go and let someone
else down the road deal with is what I'm going to do. They are all leaky. Make it good for you and your kids maybe and pass it on. There
may
be some who would not agree with this , but, good luck. Paul

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #16007

Hello, It looks like we're in the same boat so to speak but not exactly. I think the MFG boats evolved interestingly.
Mating fiberglass to wood was totally new and difficult task. Your boat (And, belive me I am no expert) appears to be an early attempt
to create a platform for seats and other things that would attach to the hull. A very daunting problem when you think about it.
It appears that they wrapped some of the wood in fiberglass and that could be your most difficult problem; though I'm sure there are
some smart guys out there that could figure it out. By the time they produced the 59 Celeron it they had worked some of these things out;
though, not everything. We have different but similar problems. Replacing all the rotten wood seems to be the way to go and let someone
else down the road deal with is what I'm going to do. They are all leaky. Make it good for you and your kids maybe and pass it on. There
may
be some who would not agree with this , but, good luck. Paul
Attachments:

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #16103

Looks good. What wood did you end up using? Did you replace the keel too, or just the keelson?

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #16118

Hi,
I used Douglas Fir, but, oak might work too. I chose fir because it is easy to work with,
light weight, straight, and free of knots. In my boat the keelson has two functions:
it gives the keel something to attach to and provides a base for the plywood floor. It is
not structural as it would be in a wooden boat.
From the pictures of your boat I see many differences from mine. First of all the keel
on mine is made of aluminum and is attached to the hull with bolts that go up through the keelson.
Your boat looks different. It appears that in some areas the fiberglass faux ribs were laid over wood.
This could complicate things, but nothing is impossible (I keep telling myself this). I would suggest
that you take the best measurements you can of existing wood, and, bolt and screw locations,
photograph everything in detail so you have a reference. I notice also that you have a hole in your
fiberglass bottom. This will have to addressed as well.
Try to locate someone who has your exact boat. There must be someone out there on this or other fourums.
Good luck

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #16194

I'm not sure what you mean about a "hole in your fiberglass bottom". Where do you see a hole in the hull?

I think the boats are not as different as you think. The keel on mine is wood and attached through the hull into the keelson in much the same way yours is. The faux ribs do go over one layer of keelson, which will complicate things somewhat, but apart from that I think it's the same basic concept.

Re:1959 MFG Wood Keelson Question 13 years 7 months ago #16283

I was refering to your photo img 1976 keel detail Fiber over wood.
Wood is still solid.
Maybe I'm seeing this wrong but it looks like a hole in the hull.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)