Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: is this a '62 phantom?

is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14737

Hello all. I have recently got the classic glass fever. Unfortunitly I am stuck in Iraq. I am deffinetly looking for a cool older boat that I can restore. I found this one and am wondering if the seller is correct. They say it is a 15 ft. 1962 Phantom. Any help would be appreciated. With the trailer and 35hp motor that they are not sure if it runs is for sale for $450. This is my first boat. My wife is going to take better pictures of it tomorrow.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proud military member.

\\\"Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time.\\\"

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14738

A couple more pics.
Attachments:

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14739

okay, one more
Attachments:

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14779

boy its har to tell from those pics,but it may be a redfish shark,or a glastron.
if you are a service member,thank you for your service,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14805

Glastron introduced that particular style of boat and many copied it. Some other manufacturers to look at include Lone Star, Yellow Jacket, and Barracuda. 1962 is not likely the year of manufacture. More like '58, '59, or '60.

I like the yellow topcoat. The motor cover identifies the Johnson as a 1959 model but since the hood may have been changed, take a look at the model number on the motor ID plate or the welch plug set into the block.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14806

I think Andy is on to the identity (or lack of it) of this boat. It is no doubt based on a Glastron if it isn't one. I've only seen a handful of them in person, so I can't exactly tell from these pictures. The rear gunnel area looks different. It is missing the telltale "bump" that RedFish added to gunnel. My guess is that it's a splash of a Glastron Fireflite

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14807

awesome, thank you all. Yes John, Army. I need a toy for when I get home, something to work on in the winter besides the house.

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14811

youngglass wrote:

awesome, thank you all. Yes John, Army. I need a toy for when I get home, something to work on in the winter besides the house.

Thanks for your service also. Must be a service-member thing... When my brother returned from the Gulf in '91.. he also spent some time rebuilding the "family" boat. I hope it's a nice respite from what you have been doing. And that boat is a good candidate if the glass is in good shape. The wood is easy to fix...

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14835

great youngglass,your all in my thoughts,tell your buddys thanks too,and have fun restoring it,it will be a beauty.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14850

I did some research and found the Glastron surflite has the double bench backseats. Still not sure because of the quality of pictures. If it is a glastron, that would be sweet except it is missing a lot of trim pieces includeing the side mylar panels. I wish I was home so my wife didnt have to mess with it.

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14857

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
What can "WE" do to help? Maybe someone in the area where you live can help the wife with this project.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14858

She is going to take some pictures of it tomorrow, maybe. She is not so good at backing a trailer but has neighbors to help out. Not too big of a deal. She is is busy with our sons, work, college, and housework. I have it kinda easy compared to the work she does. I am almost sure it is a '58 Glastron Surf Flite or Surflite or a '59 Baracuda Riviera. not sure yet but am hoping for the Glastron.
Thank you, not too keen on having a stranger help her and knowing her husband is not home. She does know Tae Kwon Do tho. If we end up getting it, which is up to her, I will have to let her pick out the color as long as it was an original color option.

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14859

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I understand about the stranger thing.....it was just a thought to help a veteran overseas.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14860

I totaly appreciate it.

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14862

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
NO! We appreciate the job that you and your fellow friends are doing for us back here in the U.S.A. ....Hats off to all of you and SALUTE!!

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14863

• Steve G
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
2nd that

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14872

if some body did help her,it would have to be someone well known here,i dont blame you,i would think the same about my wife if i were gone.
there are some guys here i would trust with my life.
even with other things you may need ,just let us know ,we will help however we can,i think i know a guy that has some mylar,"bob beers",i havent seen him post in a long time,but i think i have his email.if you need me my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ,always happy to help anyone if i can.

---Mark Twain

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14953

Well, a little disapointed. It is a Barracuda. There is a stamped plate by the motor 59 227 so I am guessing it is a 1959. It has a flat tire. It is going to be up to the wife if she wants to mess with it. Still not sure about the motor running but the wife says the transome is strong so I am hoping that includes the stringers. Most of the hardware looks decent except for the window has a chip out of it.
Does anyone know about how much I can expect to pay for a new plexiglass window?
Attachments:

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14982

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Cool boat. A new windshield will need to be custom made. That boat has a good one that can be used as a template. One could try to bend plexi and make a windshield. I know a new windshield for a g3 custom made is around $350. Thats just a rough price though...Not cheap, I know.......

Be safe over there and thanks for defending us, Mike

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14987

for the windshield ,go to "nickle city classics"its run by cc1000,aka,dave albertson,he has some nos windshields,if i remember right 150 bucks,see if he has one to fit yours,john

---Mark Twain

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #14988

Thank you. I am in Kansas and not to sure about the shipping from NY. I did find a local place that has the same boat sitting around with a windshield. I am getting too far ahead of myself. Kinda hard to do anythin from Iraq. I am just happy I found one that I like and it will be there when I get home to work on.

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #15049

Well, It's final, bought and paid for. The seller relly wanted to sell and accepted our bid on it. I sure hope the engine is good on it. The previous owners even took the bad tire off for my wife so she could get it fixed. It should be coming home tomorrow.

Proud military member.

Re:is this a '62 phantom? 13 years 8 months ago #15056

congats young glass and welcome to our addiction to old boats,it started with me in 2006 here,im sure i will see you alot around here.
so welcome to the community ,john,by the way its a great boat.

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady