Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 fabuglas question

1968 fabuglas question 13 years 8 months ago #14257

Hi I am new to old boat ownership, I just purchased a 1968 fabuglas tempest and it has had some "updating" done to it, I was wondering if originally these had a built in fuel tank or if they used portable tanks, the person who remodeled the boat put a 30 gallon tank under the front seats and I am experincing quite a bit of fuel slosh, I want to take it out and relocate a tank somewhere else, any suggestions?

I am also going to have to do a transom replacment at some point and I am anxiously awaiting the section in restoration on that. Has anyone done a transom replacment on a fabuglas here and if so what is the best way to approach it.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1968 fabuglas question 13 years 8 months ago #14259

trucknstuffmike wrote:

Hi I am new to old boat ownership, I just purchased a 1968 fabuglas tempest and it has had some "updating" done to it, I was wondering if originally these had a built in fuel tank or if they used portable tanks, the person who remodeled the boat put a 30 gallon tank under the front seats and I am experincing quite a bit of fuel slosh, I want to take it out and relocate a tank somewhere else, any suggestions?

There is a 1968 Fabuglas Brochure in the Glassic Library on this site:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Fabuglas
Here's your boat:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Fabuglasb68012.jpg

I am in the middle of "rebuilding" a 1969 Fabuglas Cruiser. I put a 12 Gallon belly tank under the rear splashwell/seat. #0 gallons is alot of fuel in a big tank. Your trouble will be that these tanks aren't baffled. They are just wide-open, so sloshing is inherent to the design. I don't think I'd want 30 gallons at the transom either...

I am also going to have to do a transom replacment at some point and I am anxiously awaiting the section in restoration on that. Has anyone done a transom replacment on a fabuglas here and if so what is the best way to approach it.

I redid my transom, floor and stringers. I even made up a photo gallery.. I am redoing the gallery.. and should re-post it soon (this week). Your hull is very similar in design.

The stringers and belly tank:

The Stringers and Transom:

Rebuilding the rear splashwell/seat
Attachments:

Re:1968 fabuglas question 13 years 8 months ago #14265

Thanks for the info and the pics, I cant wait to see all of your pics, the paint scheme you are doing is very cool looking, I am going to have to do something to spruce up the paint scheme on my boat as well and I definatley want to get some fabuglas logos made, do you happen to have those logos you are using in jpeg format that you could send me? they look very cool!

I have been trying to think of a name for the boat and I think I have settled on "life is fabuglas"

Thanks again
Mike

Re:1968 fabuglas question 13 years 8 months ago #14266

Both the logos came from the brochures. I just cleaned them up with Photoshop.
I think I'll be using the 1969 logo for my boat. The 1968 is more of a script-style. The '69 is individual letters.

Look at the covers of the (2) brochures:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Fabuglas

Re:1968 fabuglas question 13 years 7 months ago #14955

If you know anyone looking for a solid Fabuglas Commodore with new stringers, new floor, solid transom, new no-feedback steering, new interior, new full canvas, and powered by twin Bearcats, or by a Yamaha 90 disguised as a Stinger, email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

Blest boater
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted