Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dirty top

Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13431

the top of my bimini top is looking like dirt. does anybody know how to clean that fabric to its original white color?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13434

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
If it's vinyl, I believe Spray Nine (they also have a marine formula now - even better for mold & mildew, scum, etc.) is the best stuff on the market if you can find it. With the exception of one rust stain that's still getting better every time I clean it, this stuff made my O.E. navy top for my Glastron look new. Then follow with a liberal application of 303 Protectant, you will be amazed!

Mark

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13438

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
303? 3-M product?

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13441

I was wrong. 303 is NOT made by 3M. It's made by Aerospace I guess. Check it out here:

www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=protectant+303&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4646123337&ref=pd_sl_469g6qwctj_b

I get mine at NAPA, part #30340.

Frank

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13455

I know I may get blasted by some for saying this, but I have used Westly's Beach-White (white wall tire cleaner) for years on my boat tops. It works amazingly well and turns them back super white. I spray it on pretty heavy, then take a firly stiff scrub brush, (usually one of the iron shaped ones used for tires, etc) dip it in a bucket of soapy water and scrub it a bit in circular motions. Doesn't take much effort at all.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13463

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Frank !

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13464

Check my edited post, I was wrong. 303 is NOT a 3M product. 3M makes Scotchguard, a similar product. NAPA here doesn't carry it, so I got 303.

Frank

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13466

I had a car with a white convertible top that would get quite dirty. What worked best for me was waiting for a warm/hot day and pouring full strength Simple Green on the top, then soft bristle scrub brush the area. Wipe away the gunk with a towel, do the next section, repeat, until the whole top was scrubbed. THEN I'd rinse the entire top with water. Keeping the top dry - except for the Simple Green - always got me the best results.

Re:Dirty top 13 years 8 months ago #13470

Any good degreaser(Simple Green, etc) or vinyl cleaner will work fine...test on a small spot first though. Spray it on heavy, let it soak in for a minute or two, scrub with a brush and rinse.

If it spends any sort of time in the sun, you'll want to use a good quality protectant. 303 is GOOD stuff but its horridly overpriced. Meguiar's Gold Glass Vinyl Protectant works equally well in my opinion and costs about 1/3 the price. Dont even consider Armor-All if you want it to last...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)