Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '90s Century inboard - what do I need to know?

'90s Century inboard - what do I need to know? 1 week 4 days ago #148755

So, it looks like I might have a shot at buying a '92 Century Resorter. This one's fiberglass (as opposed to the wooden oldies you probably associate with the name), and has a Mercury (GM) 5.7L engine hooked to a V-drive.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of information out there for these. Have read in a few places that the early '90s ones were more problematic, and that the sale of Century to Yamaha led to some improvements in later years, but nobody seems to go into any further detail.

Hoping someone here might be familiar, and able to give me some pointers.

Are there any known troubles I should be checking for? (Rot in wooden stringers/transom, for instance? Other areas where they're known to get weak?)

Any other advice for someone considering one of these? If you've owned one, or run one, I'd like to hear about your experience.

Also - forgive my naivety, my old Crestliner and Feathercraft haven't afforded me such experience - how much depth is required to run a boat like this? Some of the local lakes have sand/gravel bars where the water can be as little as 2-3' deep, shallow launches are pretty common, and you may even find the occasional submerged log. Seeing that prop dangling there, and imagining what would happen if it made contact with anything, makes me a little nervous.

--Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)