Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cabin windows for 62 Dorsett Catalina

Cabin windows for 62 Dorsett Catalina 13 years 8 months ago #13348

I am ready to assemble new plastic windows into the the metal frames. I need to find a source for the "rubber" channel that holds the window in the frame, and makes it water tight.

Anyone know where I can find this material?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cabin windows for 62 Dorsett Catalina 13 years 8 months ago #13351

Any good auto-glass shop will have it. They don't use (pre-cast)rubber channel any more. They now use what feels like tar-soaked felt. This comes in several thicknesses about 2" wide. You fold it around the edge of the glass, and press the glass into the metal frame. If it slips in too easily, you need thicker material. After installation, you trim the excess with a razor-knife. Makes a really nice clean install.

Re: Cabin windows for 62 Dorsett Catalina 13 years 8 months ago #13442

Ah, sounds like am improvement. Thanks.

Re: Cabin windows for 62 Dorsett Catalina 13 years 8 months ago #13493

Ok, so I went to a glass shop and readily got a sample of the material described. They mentioned that a solvent is used to cause the material to expand after it is installed. Seems risky when working around expensive plastic windows. Is the solvent necessary? If so, how do you manage it?

Re: Cabin windows for 62 Dorsett Catalina 13 years 8 months ago #13497

2manyboats wrote:

Ok, so I went to a glass shop and readily got a sample of the material described. They mentioned that a solvent is used to cause the material to expand after it is installed. Seems risky when working around expensive plastic windows. Is the solvent necessary? If so, how do you manage it?

Take one of the windows to the glass shop and have them test the solvent on a unnoticeable corner...

Hard to say what it will do without knowing what the actual "solvent" is...

Re: Cabin windows for 62 Dorsett Catalina 13 years 8 months ago #13591

2manyboats wrote:

It's not necessary... as long as you choose the correct thickness. I have never used it(solvent)- but Studebaker windows are glass and the frames are chrome or stainless...
I've always chosen the material that gave me a snug fit from the beginning.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)