Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hey guys, I'm back with new BIG FINNED find!

Hey guys, I'm back with new BIG FINNED find! 4 years 5 months ago #141174

• finfanatic
  • finfanatic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, long time no see (life, all that, ya know) but I still have my passion for the well-endowed finned finds, such as the one that I just found yesterday and hauled home today! This boat had lived at a house beside a very busy road for the last several years but it was hidden behind a huge derelict school bus so no one really knew it was there. Well the bus got moved recently and BOOM there she sat exposed in all her faded glory. Luckily I was one of the first one's on the scene to snatch her up and save her! This is reportedly a 1957 Carver of which there are only 3 known (according to the previous owner after speaking with those "in the know" at Carver). I can't find this boat in any of the literature anywhere, or even a reference to one like this. Previous owner purchased the boat in Wisconsin and hauled it home to East Tennessee and only took it out once in the last 7 years. This boat was in extremely good original condition when he bought it (I'll post a pic of it "back then") but unfortunately he took a job out of town and left the boat to sit outside in the weather the entire time he owned it. So now of course it's going to need a restoration. Hull and transom are still very solid with no soft spots but decks are going to need to be replaced. I did get the original windshield with it's stainless side-brackets. What makes this boat so unique (obviously) are the gigantic stainless covered fins residing on her backside, and these are actually original equipment; there was a silver painted area that accompanied these which undoubtedly made them look even bigger. Along with the dusk pearl pink and black interior and gold anodized lights and cleats, this boat would've been a show-stopper. And the big Merc 75 dockbuster hanging on the back (serial #1099420 and freshened up right after he bought it!) doesn't hurt either. Has anyone ever seen another one of these boats? ANY info would be very appreciated!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey guys, I'm back with new BIG FINNED find! 4 years 5 months ago #141180

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
What a show stopper. Hope you get it restored and back on the water. That deserves to be saved. Perhaps Andreas or another can help you with the research. Glad someone snatched it up to save it.

Dr.Go!

Hey guys, I'm back with new BIG FINNED find! 4 years 5 months ago #141187

What a great find, didn't know Carver made smaller boats. That will be a thing of beauty when done. Keep us posted on your progress! Does the walk through go down to the floor, or is it just in the seat back? I'm guessing the floor, given the depth of the seat back
Cheers
Bill

Hey guys, I'm back with new BIG FINNED find! 4 years 5 months ago #141188

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Now that's what I call a find! How come nobody ever brings things like that to me to restore? I sure would like to have a crack at that one. All I seem to get are Ski Nautiques. Great find...and you probably got it cheap. We're all jealous.

Just an idea: With aluminum trim, I always remove the annodizing by sanding with a 220 grit orbital sander and then hand-sanding with successive wet or dry sandpapers down to 1000 grit befor I hit it with the polisher. The result looks like chrome. A coat of wax will keep it that way as long as the boat is stored indoors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: finfanatic

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat