Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just curious

Just curious 4 years 6 months ago #141073

I often get asked how much better the twins perform than a single motor. Truth is, I have no idea as I have nothing to compare to. But, I do know a great group of guys that can probably help me out with that question. With the twins, I get on plane before you can count to three, and have a top speed of 31 MPH. It's a 59 Glastron 15'. Would appreciate any input. Here's a couple pic's, one of my 8 yr old grandson directing the launch. He's witnessed it once before, so is now an expert!
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just curious 4 years 6 months ago #141077

Cool looking rig !

I have a 1957 Thompson 16'-7" Sea Lancer wooden lapstrake boat with twin 1957 Johnson 35 HP outboards. When I adopted the boat she had a 1967 Merc 1100 motor on the transom (placed on boat in 1967). I ran the boat with the Merc 1100 for several seasons before having the 35 HP twins made up and installed. The twins definitely get her up on plane quicker. I never clocked speed so cannot give definite comment on speed but my guess is that the Merc 1100 was faster. The twins look neato cool.

Andreas

Just curious 4 years 5 months ago #141106

Bill,
Your '58 Johnsons are gorgeous and the whole rig looks great!

I have a '59 Lone Star Newport 15' aluminum runabout (420 lbs.). With one '59 Johnson 35 hp I hit 26 mph. I put twin 35 hp Johnsons on and get to about 33 mph. Not the top end I expected, but I was wanting the power to pull tubes, etc.. Hope that helps.

I agree with Andreas, twins look cool!
Paul
Attachments:

Just curious 4 years 5 months ago #141133

Thanks for the replies, regardless of the single to twin comparison, I'm happy with the performance. Great for tubing, hardly notice it back there. And I agree, hard to beat the wow factor of twins!
Cheers
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)