Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for tips on restore or dump

Looking for tips on restore or dump 4 years 7 months ago #140800

I bought an old 1960 Flying Scott then yesterday I bought a 1961 Bellboy 16' hard top boat. I don't know how to tell if they are restorable or should head for the dump. I bought them for the trailers but I like the hard top on the Bell Boy and the raised engine cover and the open bow option on the Flying Scott. Any help would be appreciated. Also is there any sites or threads I could watch for getting an idea on how to restore one of these. Last question. I am guessing the smaller the more desirable for the classic fiberglass boats as well as some trim package that makes it stand out.
Our main boat is a 1989 280 Searay Sundancer.
Thanks in advance
Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for tips on restore or dump 4 years 7 months ago #140801

What state do you live in? Both boats are on my things to collect list. The worth of those boats is probably minimal to most. The real question is do you like them, and do you want to have something that no one else has? Both boats have what I call the unusual factor that make people take notice. They are rare in the perspective of the car world, I bet there are less than 200 examples of those boats out there for that year and even less that are in use. But if you want to destroy them that will just make the few remaining ones more valuable some day when people suddenly realize how cool they really are and how few are left because people that had them saw them as common junk, not realizing how few were actual made. Hope that helps.

Looking for tips on restore or dump 4 years 7 months ago #140802

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Restoration of these boats takes time and money...but it's worth it, if only from the standpoints of preservation and self-satisfaction. My advice? Decide which one to keep and list the other for sale on this site. That should put a little restoration money in your pocket and put the unwanted boat in the hands of another restorer. Both are too collectible to be sent to the landfill.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Looking for tips on restore or dump 4 years 7 months ago #140805

I am near Spokane Washington. I know what I want to do. I am going to git rid of the flying Scott and keep the BellBoy. Last pic is our daily driver.
Attachments:

Looking for tips on restore or dump 4 years 7 months ago #140808

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That's the choice I would have made...almost a no-brainer. Make sure the Scott finds a good home, even if you have to give it away.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Looking for tips on restore or dump 4 years 7 months ago #140886

Thanks for this topic! Hi - I'm new here :) I just posted a '64 Supercraft 16' runabout in the glassifieds because I hate the idea of it going to the dump. It's not "collectible" I don't guess (seems nobody's ever heard of it) and it is not particularly showy, but it IS a good looking little thing. I went to a bunch of work to get the title only to find out that businesses around me want lottery money to restore it :(
Does anybody have any suggestions about how to rehome this little gem if I don't find a taker on here?
What are the conditions when they should go to the dump?

Looking for tips on restore or dump 4 years 7 months ago #140887

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You are right about the boat not being worth the expense to restore. All you really have is an empty hull. As a professionsl restorer, I would ballpark a complete restoration at somewhere around $15,000. The result would be a boat worth about $2,500 tops, motor and all...if you could find a buyer.

I guess the only way to "re-home" it would be to advertise it on Craigslist for free. Of course, it's a pretty good guess that most would want it only for the trailer and end up taking the boat to the landfill themselves.

One last thought: A playground item for a day care? Bury it up to the waterline and it would make a unique sand box for the kiddies. That way, you could re-purpose the boat and keep/sell the trailer.

"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 13780 guests and no members online