Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner

Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130301

I am in the middle of a year-long rebuild. A friend was scraping and sanding paint and he put too much weight on the windshield... and it busted.

Does anyone know details for a replacement? I'm sure I can find a replacement but I am not finding much info here or on google search.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130318

Which, windshield are you talking about, the one in the cabin or the one on top of the cabin for the driver?

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130321

The main, cabin windshield.

I find mention that it is a Studebaker rear window... it certainly looks similar to them.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130322

Studebaker it is, as well the windshield in the Glasspar Delmar is the studabaker window

Jim Savage

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130328

Hello sstoneback,

Welcome to FG and please share some pictures of your Glasspar Mariner.

Our friend Eddie Grijalva wrote the book “Glasspar Boat Builder: Circa 1952-1962". According to Eddie, in his book he mentions, Glasspar used a Studebaker Champion rear window to form the mold for the new 1956 16’ Delmar windshield.

I believe it was a 55 Champion and recall reading they bought a truckload of the glass. It appears to be similar to what was used on the Mariner which was introduced in 57.

1960 Club Mariner which was the last year for the Mariner.

Thanks,
Terry

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130361

That's awesome info. I will give a peek today and confirm with my boat. Thanks for all the help!

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130381

Here is a picture of the busted window, with my not-so-heavy friend who's weight shattered it! Memo: don't allow anyone to walk above new window, once installed...

It's a 1958 Club Marathon. Solid hull but needing a good paint job and interior work. I don't have the upper windshield, but I also have a 1960 Marathon that I am considering swiping the windshield from. We'll see, not sure it will fit well up there.

I am concerned that the rear windows from the Studebaker Champion are slightly different than my windshield. It appears in the Studebaker photo and the DelMar photo, that the bottom corners of the window have a flat spot along the bottom edge. I don't see that same flat spot in the Club Marathon window.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130382

Here is a picture of the busted window, with my not-so-heavy friend who's weight shattered it! Memo: don't allow anyone to walk above new window, once installed...

It's a 1958 Club Marathon. Solid hull but needing a good paint job and interior work. I don't have the upper windshield, but I also have a 1960 Marathon that I am considering swiping the windshield from. We'll see, not sure it will fit well up there.

I am concerned that the rear windows from the Studebaker Champion are slightly different than my windshield. It appears in the Studebaker photo and the DelMar photo, that the bottom corners of the window have a flat spot along the bottom edge. I don't see that same flat spot in the Club Marathon window.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130383

• DaveM
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Beam on the Mariner is 10" wider than the DelMar; gunnel looks similar on both, don't think they could be the same windshield.
Studebaker windshields are usually available as NOS parts for $250-300. online, you just have to look around.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130393

I'm having a heck of a time getting the picture uploaded... but it doesn't appear to be the same window as the Del Mar. I will keep looking.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130394

I'm having a heck of a time getting the picture uploaded... but it doesn't appear to be the same window as the Del Mar. I will keep looking.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130404

The most common problem with picture uploads not working is the size is to big. If you are trying to upload from a phone just down load a free app that will allow you to resize a picture to a smaller version, if you are using a pc try right clicking the mouse on the picture and there should be an option to resize the photo, hope that helps.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130410

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Jet, Some different pics you might want to use for your avatar.
Never realized how close you come to sinking from a fast stop backwash :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130433

Those are some great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130440

Hello sstoneback,

Looking closely at the bottom line on the ends they do appear to be different.

I posted the question over on the FGC site and will let you know if anybody there has any ideas.

Like Jetflite suggests you gotta resize the image smaller and then click on choose file for images, select, and it should go.

Terry

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130446

OK, previous reply didn't post - short version - go to forum archives (to 2008), do search for club mariner windshield, something should come up as there was a lot of talk about it back then.

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130532

Whatsleft,
I searched and didn't find anything.

sstoneback,
Rick who owns the blue 60 Club Mariner is guessing it was the rear glass on the 56 Studebaker President.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 2 months ago #130535

Being actual glass, and from a car of the 50's, I would bet that windshield is fairly heavy.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 1 month ago #130542

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been following this discussion for awhile. I guess it is time to see if I can add something to the questions.

I used to own a '55 Studebaker Commander and that Del Mar / Mariner windshield looks very familiar. Yet it has been bugging me for years because I too noticed that they were slightly different. Maybe I have an answer now. I am sure that Eddie G. is right, the Del Mar windshield came from a '53-'55 Studebaker (champion or commander) rear window. These were the bodies designed by Raymond Lowey and they were the slickest looking cars around back then. No wonder Bill Tritt used them on the super slick Del Mar ('55) and later on the Mariner ('57).

But the Mariner windshield is different so where did it come from? Checking some old photos of different Studie models, I noticed the aft body shape of the 4 door sedan bulges slightly to accommodate the extra doors. The rear windshield on the sedan looks to me like it does not have the "corner" like the 2 door version.

My take then, is that the Del Mar got the 2 door rear windshield from a '53-'55 and the Mariner got the 4 door version. Maybe the same glass was used in later Studie models too which could be why they all look so similar.

Jerry
Attachments:

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 1 month ago #130653

By Jove, I've think you've got it!

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 1 month ago #130655

Just to add to this thread I was told and believe that the Glasspar Trident windshield was also from a model of the Studebaker. The photo attached is an old photo of my current 1958. Some stories say that it is from the Earlier Corvette which make a better story but probably not true. It is very nice to have an actual original glass windshield on a boat of this vintage.
Attachments:

Re:Windshield for Glasspar Club Mariner 7 years 1 month ago #130660

well my story is true my boat was made by the company that did make the early corvette bodies .. i wanted to rub it in.

billy

• Page:
Time to create page: 3.634 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)