Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: balsa core question

balsa core question 13 years 8 months ago #12646

I got half of the core removed (the rotted section) and the other half remains in good condition. Here's the question: 1. Should I remove the rest and put in all new end grain or 2. should I replace the one half with end grain and leave the other half with long grain? If i go with #2, then i'm scared the weight may be different between the two types of balsa. The current long grain is 3/4 inches thick. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dreams do become reality!

Re:balsa core question 13 years 8 months ago #12668

Re:balsa core question 13 years 8 months ago #12729

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I also would do the whole thing take even the "good" out and start fresh.
End grain is what to use, better impact strength, you can't crush end grain. Stiffness comes from the layers of fiberglass on each side of the core. I would also use EPOXY and I would laminate a fresh layer of glass down on the bare prepped bottom to bond the balsa too. Read my post at www.hydrostreamforums.com , go to the board index, go to Restorations and Makeovers then find thread for 74 Vector Stringer Rebuild. I just did this recore. It covers my logic and the way I did it. Just my opinion on what I thought was right. This is my 8th Glassic restoration to date.
Good luck!
Randy

Re:balsa core question 13 years 8 months ago #12734

As has been said - rip all out. You may want to explore some of the newer alternatives to wood coring materials. I have never used any of them, but Im sure you can find someone to give you opinions on what's available. You may want to look at "core mat" and see if it would do you any good.

Re:balsa core question 13 years 8 months ago #12750

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
71 V153 (Doug) replaced the stringers, floor, and transom in his Glastron with some sort of composite, not a piece of wood left in the boat I believe he said. You may want to drop him a line if you're interested in going that route. He took a lot of pics, and is very helpful as long as you don't mention manatee's! LOL

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted