Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: PLEASE Help!!! need some insight.

PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 9 months ago #12208

This is what I am picking up, next week. A Dorsett late 50's maybe early 60's, needs alot of help, transom replaced and much more. I am giving the guy $500.00 for the boat and trailer, is this fair yes or no. Where are the serial numbers located on her, I could not find them. any and all input will be very helpful and thank you. Also getting in the deal is this red and white one I looked and did not find any info on her either. thank you for all your help.

Larry.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 9 months ago #12226

larry your dorsett looks like the blue belmont in the 1st pic,i think its eary 60s,if i were you i would look in the glassic library here at fiberglassics,john p.s, if you click on the pic it will show larger.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 9 months ago #12227

peerpressure2 wrote:

This is what I am picking up, next week. A Dorsett late 50's maybe early 60's, needs alot of help, transom replaced and much more. I am giving the guy $500.00 for the boat and trailer, is this fair yes or no. Where are the serial numbers located on her, I could not find them. any and all input will be very helpful and thank you. Also getting in the deal is this red and white one I looked and did not find any info on her either. thank you for all your help.

Larry.

$500 is an okay deal in my book for a boat like that AND the trailer Larry, especially if it has transferable registration. Common placement of hull #s didn't start till maybe '72, so a tag could be anywhere in that boat. Some boats never had them, others have been lost after 50 years.

Does it have transferable registration, or do you live in a state where it's easy to register a boat without papers?

There's a wealth of info here and in the archives, plus lots of folks that can answer specific questions.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

Frank

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 9 months ago #12228

1960 add,but my best 'GUESS" is a 60 belmont,but dont quote me on that,lol,lol.
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 9 months ago #12420

Ya'll are awesome, thank you for the info and help. This one will need to set on the back burner, just got the call today to pick up a 1969 Larson 14'6 all american to restore. will get pics on my profile soon. this is a addiction that can get out of hand, Started with my 57 Scotty-craft and now just this year I got the Dorsett, 2 Larsons and old wellcraft that is beyond help. Thank you again for all the help.

Larry.

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12620

• Dad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, My son has a stock 1960 Larson All American and I have a stock 1960 Dorsett Belmont. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Dad

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12630

larry your the 1st person to mention scotty craft,i couldnt find anything about them,there is one about a mile from me,hes asking 100 bucks ,with a 50s copper and white colored johnson on it,the trailer tounge is bent,i wanted it but the wife said no,lol.everything is there including the windsheild.its rough but i dont see any wood in it,it looks compleatly fiberglass.
do you have pics and info on yours?

---Mark Twain

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12642

I just finshed restoring my 1960 Dorsett Belmont.
My is the same color. I paid $800 for boat, trailer and working 1963 Mercury 650 with pink slip for each.
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12665

I will, thank you very much.

Larry

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12670

I will get a pic of it out here, I had the same problem with finding info about my Scottie-craft but I did find out that the parent company was in Florida and a div was here in Indiana around Indianapolis. most of these boats were used in boat and ski shows down south somewhere. I have only found one more down in Tampa.
I found mine in a barn (in no kidding, Straw town, Indiana) with chickens and ducks all over it, she had a weak floor and bad wiring, fixed all that and did a mild rebuild on the 57 Evinrude 35 big twin. I guess what I love the most is that people stop me just to have a look at the oldie, I need to get her repainted soon.
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12672

yep you are right some wood for little structure but all fiberglass.
Attachments:

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12673

I got the trailer for $100.00 but the boat and motor were free. the little old lady I got it from was very happy I was restoring it back to the best I can, her husband ( god rest his soul) bought it new in 1957.

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12676

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Peerpressure are you in north or south IN.? I'm located in Louisville KY.

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12686

I am up in South Bend, I am 90 miles east of Chicago and 2 miles south from the Michigan state line. you are about 6 hrs away and only 3 hours from my brothers house. It would be woth the drive down, I took alot of back roads and the all old boats just sitting around, kind of a shame.

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12692

my name is Larry and it is nice to e-meet you.

Re:PLEASE Help!!! need some insight. 13 years 8 months ago #12707

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Likewise Larry. Seems like a lot of the members here are from north / northeast of here. I think its great to see 2-5-10 of the old glassics out on the water togeather.
Pete a.k.a. DelRay

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)