Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions

Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121742

Just looking for advice and some input on this project.

It's a race boat, not a show boat so perfection is not necessary. Of course I dont want it looking like a 50 dollar special but I dont need a 50k Skater paint job.

I was looking at the AWLGRIP paint until I ran upon this form and saw some great results with the Rustolium paints.

First things first, I'm unable to spray the boat unless I do it outside and I'm sure the neighbors would not be to happy.. so Roll and Tip seem like the best choice.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121744

The boat has been sanded, body worked and almost ready for paint.

As you can see from the picture she has been painted more then a few times by the previous owner.

I'll test paint the transom first, its a transom so if it turns out poorly I wont lose much sleep.

Step 1: Primer
* surface has been sanded 180 then 320

* cleaned with a 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits/Acetone.

* Primer Coat will be Rustoleum "clean Metal Primer" in white.

* I'll roll on the first coat, straight Rust-oleum primer with a
High Density 4" or 6" Foam Rollers.

* Sand gently with 320 grit.

* Primer coat 2 - foam roller

* Sand gently with 320 and address any issues that need body work.
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121746

Paint -

* Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Semi White Gloss Oil-Based Enamel Interior/Exterior Paint is this the correct paint? lowes - paint

* Mix paint
2 cups of paint
+ 1/4 cup of Reducer
+ 1 oz of Hardener

* Roll and tip on, allow to dry

* Lightly wet sand any imperfections

* Roll and tip 2nd coat

* repeat if necessary

as I said shes a race boat and will be hit, bumped and scratched. This is one reason I was leaning toward the awlgrip, but seeing the results and cost difference I'm leaning towards the Rustoleum.

Does this look correct?

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121748

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like the right mix to me Rick, let her rip and welcome aboard!

Just remember to wear a respirator especially when using the hardener, even when you roll n tip! That stuff WILL cause you health issues.

Mark

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121750

Thanks and I will be wearing a respy.

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121754

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Like Mark said, you have the thinning and activator right. I've only done two boats with that method and both came out satisfactory. There is a tendency to over tip with your brush. Roll a small section at a time, your transom would work and then tip immediately. in one direction only not in the typical back and forth painting motion. Brush strokes WILL flow smooth so don't try to smooth them with the brush. With the hardener/activator you can wet sand the following day if necessary but most of the time a very satisfactory appearance will come on the first try unless you don't have good coverage.
Good Luck, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121759

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Your plan of attack sounds good to me but 220 after the first coat of primer is all that's needed. Why did you choose semi-gloss white instead of gloss? Just curious. Also, exactly what hardener are you using? Thanks

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121769

I tested the primer on the transom and got a little carried away, but its all good. The paint laid down as nice as some spray primer I have seen.

I just made sure to roll down never up, than a very light roll to remove any lines. After the paint dried I lightly hand sanded the transom with 320 on a rubber block. I'm really impressed how smooth it looks,

The paint is going to be a gloss, I just linked to the wrong one at lowes.

Majic Catalyst Hardner from TSC
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121770

Side picture.. problem is the weather right now. all I need is one 70 degree day and I'll have her primered with two coats and maybe even 1 painted coat...

Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121771

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The weather has been affecting us quite a bit. Looks like you're getting some rain again. I've been holding off on a paint job for over a week now because of low temps. Looks like better days are coming next week.
Looks like a nice job with the primer. Going to be one classiy looking speeder.

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121778

I'm dying to see a couple pictures of the front of the hull.
It looks like a super cool project to me!!

Do you know any history on the boat?
Year, maker, race history, motor used, etc??
doc

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 11 months ago #121780

It's YUKA Speedster That I bought last year from the owner of Yuka. It was his personal race boat. I would have painted it last year but US customs really screwed me over with shipping and by the time she arrived the race season already started.

I did run her last summer with the decals and colors that she was raced under in Dubai and Turkey.

Shes 25ft long, race weight is a little under 2400lbs and powered but a Mercury 200xs ROS engine. My best speed was running with my wife in the boat at 105mph and some change. I might have gotten a little better, but I did not want to get to crazy. Normally we race/run with a driver and throttle man. I was doing both.. to much can happen at those speeds so I did not push it.
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #121929

Well so far so good. I did the first primer coat with really nice results. I sanded it with 220 and did a little body work thst was missed.

The 2nd primer coat covered almost 100%. We sanded it lightly with 320. The prime looks great, I don't think anyone could tell it's roller painted.

Sunday we start with the real paint..
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #121971

• MarkS
Looks like a great start!

Mark

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #121977

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Damn! Thats one FINE looking boat! Nice stepped hull and the "cockpit" looks simple mean! Keep us up on progress! Good Luck with it!

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #121984

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #121988

Very COOL!! Keep the pics coming.
Gene

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122021

*not the best picture with the lights..

Ok, I tried the rolling and "tip" method with marginal successes. I found it was better to incres the reducer a few % and roll on with a high density foam roller till coverage was good, than roll back over it really soft and slow.

With the roll/tip method I rolled on the paint nice and thing, and would lightly tip it in one direction with the brush like all the videos showed. The brush marks would lay down, but nothing great..

I tried different mixtures, 5 different style brushes (wasted 55$ on) , cheap foam brush and all in between.. The slow roll just worked with this mix/temp I was in I guess..

The "orange" peal is no worse than a rushed spray job..

ended up with 3 coats yesterday. Started early at 8:00am and last coat was finished up around 9:30pm

-
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122025

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sounds about right to me :laugh:
My last roll and tip I consider marginal at best, three coats and brush marks still showed through to the primer. Wet color sanding will solve most of the problems and take out those pesky oranges. I get aggressive and use 600 w/d to take down the ripples and orange holes then go to 2000 grit to smooth out and then use Mequires polish with a foam buffer pad to shine it up. Usually looks pretty good if your standing 14' away :)

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122027

Such a cool boat. The roofline reminds me of a 1964 Ferrari 250LM.

Attachments:

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122137

wet sanding is a messy job, but using 1000 grit its turning out pretty nice with minimal effort.

Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122138

it's difficult to see, but with a little polish it should turn out pretty good.
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122141

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lookin' really good from here. Same little roller stool that I use, saves on the back. Higher areas I use a back rest high roller chair :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122155

Roller stools and chairs a concrete floor all under a roof? No wonder you guys get so much done.
Thanks for sharing Rick, Gene

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122158

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
gene gene wrote:

Roller stools and chairs a concrete floor all under a roof? No wonder you guys get so much done.
Thanks for sharing Rick, Gene

But always fun to "sit the spinner chair", get the gas leaf blower out, sit chair in the rocks drive and fire it up and "go for a spin"

Just make sure the helmet on!

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122190

Pretty much finished up the sanding yesterday..

- Started with 320 wet and a foam block (very light)
This removed all the orange peal, bugs and what not. I found talking and sanding will result in a burn through.

- Next was a 600 wet and foam
This cleaned up the small areas left from the 320

- Finial was a 1000 wet with a block
After this step is pretty much done and ready.. I will buff it later next week but over all the roller paint job is a solid 7/10 and for a race boat that pretty good.

- I might try 2000 wet tonight, not really sure its needed..

The paints pretty durable, I did drop a large hose nozzle on the deck that left a dent, but no chipping.

* hard to tell from this pic's but so far so good.

-
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122293

• MarkS
Looks like it's coming along really well Rick!

Mark

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122305

With a little compound she cleans up very nice and this is not even waxed yet!
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122307

The deck looks awful, I may just have to redo it.. yes it looks that bad.

I also have a few areas that we sanded through by mistake that need touch up.

But overall its a solid 7/10
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122426

I was going to re-paint the deck and a few areas, but they added a local race and my plans have all been push forward 35 days.. so It's good enough (for a race boat) and its assembly time.
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122427

close up... It's not bad, but the next one will be much better.
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122428

I'll add a couple things.. I had all the Stainless steel rails, hinges, hooks, window rings and other small parts polished out and "Black Chromed"

Hard to see from the pictures, but should look nice later on. I'll be back and post a couple "finished" pictures if anyone is interested.

Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122429

It's only allowing me to attach 1 pic per post..

2nd pic..
Attachments:

Re:Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 7 years 10 months ago #122431

Looks awesome !
For multiple pictures:
Once you add a pick and hit OK
Pick the "return to topic"
In the bottom right corner there will be an "edit" button.
Pick that. Then you can add another picture.

Painting a race boat (Roll & Tipping) questions 4 years 10 months ago #139450

and 2 years later I'm doing it again due to the abuse of racing... so overall the 100$ paint job was well worth it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)