Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1970 Seaking

1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117126

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I think I may have a problem. I bought another boat today. As some may know, my daughter Alaina and I are in the middle of a restoration, and just bought a "practice" boat for her.
Now her friend (also named Alaina!) wants an old boat too!

I found this 1970 SeaKing on CL not far from my house. I was impressed with the ad and the description of how clean it sounded...not a scratch on the hull and all original. I stopped by tonight on my way home, and couldn't believe how nice this thing is! The engine looks new, the boat is so clean. The only thing that could use attention is the vinyl flooring which is coming loose up from where it curves up the sides. The seats look new, and the windshield is spotless.

He was asking $550, and I got it with very little effort for $400. Comes with a pile of life jackets, 3 props, anchors, etc.

I was SO tempted to keep this one...but being a good friend I called Alaina's dad and told him he just bought a boat. I offered a money back guarantee... if he doesn't like it I'll buy it back. At any time.

His daughter doesn't love the color, but it's not as bad in person. I'm hoping it grows on her. If not, I will offer to paint the hull for her.

I will take them out tomorrow night to pick it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117136

WOW, let me say that backwards....WOW!!!! She's in great shape and shat a deal. I have to admit I'm not fond of green either but hell for as clean as she is, who cares!

Bob

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117139

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Drb007 wrote:

I think I may have a problem.

Yep, the addiction has taken another casualty! :laugh:

Mark

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117142

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I'll back your play. If the father doesn't go for it, I'll cover the cost. Just tell me where to pick it up!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117144

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'll take second dibs. Color doesn't matter. Even a ski pole, that itself is worth $$.
Nice find

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117163

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well, I spent all last night dreaming about this damned boat. Not kidding. Woke up this morning with regret for not keeping it. But, I figured it was the nice thing to do, and it would be a great boat for my friend and his family. We planned to run down tonight to pick it up. An hour before we were supposed to leave I got a text saying they were out...his wife said no.

Woo Hoo!!!!

I hit the ATM and my daughter and I drove down and picked it up. We might even try dropping it in the lake this weekend as it is supposed to be in the upper 50's.

Couldn't be happier!

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117165

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Some motor pictures in case someone can tell me what I have here...

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117166

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
That's a very clean motor. Probably will only require minimal servicing (clean/gap points if it doesn't spark); carb clean if it's not getting fuel; and a new impeller in any case.

Also check the gear oil, if there's water in it, likely the driveshaft seal will need replacing at the same time you do the impeller job. A new seal is cheap, and a snap to replace.

This is a Chrysler-produced engine, so you should be able to look up parts for a 55hp Chrysler.

Here are some Chrysler listings at Marineengine.com:

www.marineengine.com/parts/chrysler-outboard/index.php

The oldest 55hp they list is 1974, but I expect the parts would be similar.

You can also use the "application guide" to find Sierra Marine aftermarket parts.

Not a screamer but a pretty good outboard, very simple in construction and easy to service.

Years ago I had a smaller Sea-King (about 13-1/2') and put an old 700E Merc Dockbuster on it. Had a lot of fun for very cheap, and it was an excellent ski machine!

Your boat is in far better shape than my old Sea-King was, 30 years ago.

An excellent find, congrats!..........ed

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117172

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Way to go! His admiral pulled through for you.

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117174

Nice find!!! You've got the bug for sure.
Gene

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117178

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
27955 is a 1969 55 hp.

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117179

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Checked my manuals, the twin coils and maroon box indicate a CDI ignition. Still uses points for triggering, make extra sure they are clean and properly gapped, as they also control timing. Point gap is .015, and a variation of .0015 will change timing one degree according to my manual.

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117180

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
FYI, here's a link to some Sea King motor info:
www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_montgomery_wards.html

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117181

No good deed goes unpunished.

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117185

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The maroon "box" mounted above the 2 coils would appear to be a rectifier assy, and I expect this model is just a 12V points-n-coils ign, easy to service and very reliable.......ed

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117186

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
ed-mc

That sounds like good news!
Dave

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117193

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
web.b.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?sid=47d893f8-898b-4636-8314-42c9e008de8b%40sessionmgr111&vid=1&hid=115 Page 6, items 3 and 9. Might want to check wires to be sure, but looks like a CDI box to me.

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117207

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'm getting confused...I did read up on CDI, but I can't tell from you all...is CDI good or bad for me?

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117208

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Drb007 wrote:

I'm getting confused...I did read up on CDI, but I can't tell from you all...is CDI good or bad for me?

CDI is a good ign when it's working. But if you have to replace parts on a malfunctioning Chrysler "Magnapower" electronic ign system, it can get very expensive.

But you Do Not have Magnapower ign, see the attached picture. There is no CDI module mounted anywhere on your engine.

Points/battery ign is easy to service and is virtually trouble-free with the occasional maintenance. CDI ign is good for plug life and smooth idling but your 55hp will run fine on its conventional ign and standard spark plugs.

HTH..........ed

Attachments:

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117210

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you again Ed!

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 5 months ago #117214

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I stand corrected.

Re:1970 Seaking 8 years 4 months ago #117578

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Update:
It runs! I ran it a few weeks ago in a barrel, and it fired right up. It idles fine, but seems to have some issues with higher rpm. I did not take it to the lake, but I think it likely will have little power. I need to sort out the running issues, and my wife got me the original manual for Christmas. I will have to wait a few weeks to get at the reading.

I'm taking it down to my parent's farm to tuck it away in the barn for the winter. I did a little buffing, and it shines like a new boat. The clock doesn't run, so I'll have to sort that out, and the compass needs a refill. I will do all of that in Spring, along with new flooring. Can't wait to get it on the water!

I did pop the side name plates off, as the starboard side is cracked/broken. I am wondering what you all have come up with for repair or remaking plastic badges for boats that don't offer new replacements. I wonder if a 3D printer might work easily and affordably for this?
Attachments:

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122454

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I talked to Franz Marine and was told that points and condensers for this motor are no longer available. Yikes! Can points be rebuilt?
Any good options?

Also, I want to try to reglue the vinyl floor rather than replace it. I think that I can peel it back and do this, but wonder what glue would be best? I am going to try heating it with a hairdryer to give it a little stretch.
Ideas?

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122461

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
All you need to do with the points is to pull the flywheel, take the points out, and disassemble the 2 halves of each points assy.

Then, using a piece of crocus cloth wrapped around a flat surface such as a small strip of wood or a flat file, polish the surface of the points contact until it's smoothed out. Don't worry about a few pits. If the points are a bit burned, clean 'em up with a points file or coarser sandpaper before a good polish.

Degrease with acetone or equivalent before reassembly. I'm assuming these would be gapped to .020" Be sure to torque the flywheel to factory value.

This flywheel holder will make things a lot easier for you:

www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-Flywheel-Turning-Tool-648455/204505230

$15.76 + tax, shipped free to your local Home Depot store. Cheap!

HTH.......ed

p.s. if you do need a points set, check at www.marineengine.com as they do carry some Sierra replacements for older Chrysler products, and have good pics to match up to yours.

p.s.s. on the floor, I'd think some 3M spray contact cement might do the job.

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122761

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I worked on the motor last week, playing around a little running it on the hose. It starts right up every time, but I think is intermittently running on one cylinder. I played with the wires a bit, cleaning connections and such, and seafoamed the carb. That seemed to really help.
I could not get the fly wheel off. My puller is not the proper one, so I need to go get one that will work. I spent some time cleaning it up a bit, polishing the trim, etc.

While as 44 years old I am feeling far more mature (slightly wise?) than I was 10-20 years ago, I still make decisions I know aren't the best when it comes to instant gratification:)

It was so nice out yesterday, and it did run pretty wheel in the barrel...so off to the lake we went. I warned my wife and daughter that it may be the shortest boating trip we could take, making sure it floats, but that it might run poorly, requiring us to drag it right back out.

Alaina is practicing for when her Larson is done, so she drove the whole way and backed the Sea King right down to the launch with no help. She did a great job.

We had no issues launching, we loaded our two dogs and gear in and idled out while Alaina parked the truck. Right away we were getting compliments from other boaters about how cool this old boat looked.

I was pleased that it was running pretty well, maybe a bit more vibration at idle speeds than I liked. But it opened up just fine, planed very quickly, and peaked out I would guess around 25-28 mph. I still need to get a pitot for the speedo...

The chain of lakes we went out on is crystal clear and of the 11 lakes, only 5 are fast. So we had a fair amount of idling, and did ok. Crossing one of the lakes a beautiful Shell Lake caught up to us and chatted for a while. Nice guy.

We made it to the farthest most lake and were running at near wide open throttle when we lost power and slowly the motor died. I think it was flooded out. We sat for about 5 minutes and tried again and it started right up. We made it about half way back and it died again. This time a pontoon with some very nice people offered us a tow, and we took it.

Still got more compliments than I expected, and I will now do a proper job of getting it running tip top before we go out again. I just couldn't wait:)

Oh, and our dogs loved it. Should be a fun summer.

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122771

Ah yes, I've seen that last view a few too many times! lol

Bob

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122772

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ain't the truth Bob. This name came about from Frog specifically for reason.
Attachments:

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122775

What a great looking boat, and for $400!!!!

Wards Sea King.....as in Montgomery Wards?

BTW, anybody remember why the heck people called it Monkey Wards?

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122776

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, it is in fact a Montgomery Wards boat! Right out of the catalog!

Do YOU know why they called it Monkey Wards?

Tell!

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122777

Drb007 wrote:

Yes, it is in fact a Montgomery Wards boat! Right out of the catalog!

Do YOU know why they called it Monkey Wards?

Tell!

Not a clue. I just remember my great-grandmother, my father and other folks in PA calling it that.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122778

Just a nick name for Montgomery Wards, kinda like Sears and "Rareback" where I grew up!!! We said Monkey Ward also!!

Jim Savage

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122806

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #122813

Well,...In regards to Montgomery Wards,...And with no intention of stealing\ng this thread,...
I am on the hunt for a '48 +/- 1.5 HP Montgomery Wards 'Sea King' or Gale, Hiawatha, or Goodyear motor for parts.

I have been restoring one with my 10 year old grandson, but the gas tank that had been in his dad's car - in route his car club to have dents removed and a sexy paint job applied - was stolen.
The car was stolen.
The car was recovered the next day, but the gas tank was gone.
I've posted on aomci and craigslist, but still no happy endings.
doc F
Attachments:

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #123074

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I finally got around to doing some more work on the boat tonight. I did some wet sanding on the gel coat with good initial results. I will want to go back over it with higher grades I think, so I will keep at that project.

I was able to get the impeller out. I had been waiting to place the order to Franz Marine for the plugs, wires, impeller, etc until I could get the impeller out and see what I needed.

I snapped a picture and sent it to Franz around 9pm tonight. At 9:20 my cell rang with an unknown-to-me number, which I almost didn't answer. Glad I did. It was Franz! He said he is leaving tomorrow morning for a week of vacation, so if I wanted the parts, he would package it all up tonight and ship it out before he leaves in the morning. Then he gave me his cell in case I had any questions. He was worried that he would have poor cell service where he was going, but if I left a message he would get back to me asap. Seriously. I am blown away at the service and knowledge. I didn't even really ask him for a total when I paid...he's just the kind of guy you know you can trust. That just makes this hobby that much more fun.

People are good.

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 10 months ago #123077

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It sure is refreshing to know there are still people like that around. Thanks for the info.

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 8 months ago #124501

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I thought I'd give an update, more for therapy for me than anything.
After I got the parts from Franz, I put in the new plugs, wires, impeller, new lower unit oil, etc. I found a guy about an hour from my house who said he is an expert on these old Chrysler outboards. He charged me $50 for a tune up, and I gave him $80 to show me how to do it, rather than just do it for me. He's a really nice guy. Turns out I was not pumping water after my impeller change. Seems the water tube didn't get hooked up right when I reassembled it. I finally got that hooked up and working right. We put a new diaphragm in the fuel pump and adjusted the carb. Got it running pretty decent. I had hoped he would check my work on setting the points and then set the timing. We were running late on time, so he kinda rushed through that part. However, it ran well enough that I figured we were good to go.
We planned to go up to our friends' lake home for the 4 day weekend over the 4th, and I spent just about every night for a week getting the boat ready. Wax, new period-correct vinyl flooring, fixed some lights, etc.
We got up to the lake, dropped it in the water, and it wouldn't start. After a bit of work, I was able to get it running and was able to keep it going by manually revving it with the throttle on the carb. Once it warmed up a bit it ran pretty well. I had my friend drive the boat back to the dock while I drove the truck back to his house. He ran a few laps on his own, and said it ran great. By the way, this is the guy that was supposed to have bought the boat but backed out. I tell you, when his wife saw the boat, she was very upset that they passed on it. By the end of the weekend her bid was up to $2000 to buy it from me.
Anyway, he ran a couple of laps, then picked up his daughter and mine and took them out for a couple of laps. I was down at the dock by then and he picked me up. With the 4 of us in it top speed was a whopping 23mph. He said it was moving a lot faster when he was alone, but he didn't look at the speedometer.
After another lap, the overheat light came on. I shut it down right away and let it cool down. We restarted it and all was good, and it was pumping water. Another lap and it just died, almost like we ran out of gas, but no sputtering. Just kind of bogged down and quit. And it would not restart. I left it tied to the dock for a couple of days because it looked so cool in the water. We tried numerous times to get it to go, but eventually the starter quit and we were done.
I took the starter apart and found the ground brush wire had been soldered and this came apart. I tried to fix it, but it only held for a few minutes.
I took the start to a nice guy who really fixed it and worked on the starting issues again tonight. I was able to get it start on starting fluid and then could keep it running by manually working the throttle. But, I noticed I was not pumping water again, and shut it down. While it was running it was running poorly.
I did a compression test again and now the bottom cylinder is 140, the top is just 70. Yikes.
So, off with its head. Huh...it's a Hemi!
I got lucky...the head gasket was blown.
I will get another this week and see how much of issue this solves. Wish me luck, and shoot me any advice!

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 8 months ago #124507

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It blew for a reason, likely the head isn't flat. You need to get it flat or it'll probably blow a gasket again.

You can have it surfaced at most any machine shop, or if you've got the time, surface it yourself with a sheet of sandpaper taped to a piece of glass or very flat metal surface.

Start with Medium grit and if the head is not flat, you'll see the low spots right away. You'd have to continue sanding until all low spots are gone. Move the head in a "figure eight" pattern on the sanding paper, this will more-evenly remove material.

Check the block, too. These old big twins have a bad habit of delaminating the steel sleeve within the aluminum block, once the aluminum around the steel deteriorates, the gasket won't hold. The only cure for that problem is a replacement block or powerhead. Fortuntely there are a lot of Big Twins out there!!

HTH & keep us updated on your progress.......ed

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 8 months ago #124617

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I got a sheet of heavy glass and adhered 120 grit sandpaper to it. Moving the head in a figure 8, I slowly progressed to get the surface shined up. If the presentation of low spots was any indication, the head does seem to have been warped. After a lot of elbow grease, all areas are nice and clean. I carefully scraped and sanded the block as well. Just out of curiosity (I won've received the gasket until Monday) I mated the head to the block to see how it fit. Interestingly, it seems high in the middle, as it teeters a bit. I can rock the head up and down pivoting in the middle. When I hold the bottom of the head tight to the block, I can get a .006 feeler gauge in between the head and block at the top edge.

Is that ok? Am I concerned over nothing as I don't have the gasket in there?
Thoughts?

Also, I thought maybe now would be a great time to time the ignition, as I can clearly see when I am at TDC. However, according to the manual, I need a special tool (rod) with marks as I am trying to find 32 degrees before TDC, and I don't have this tool. The manual uses a test light to adjust the opening and closing of the points based on the tool mentioned. The guy that helped me tune this up before the 4th of July holiday weekend just threw a automotive timing light on it. He couldn't find a mark on the flywheel, so he found TDC and made a mark on his own and used that. He put the light on it and said it looked fine. I've timed cars before, and that is pretty straight forward, but I could not understand what he what using as reference lines to confirm timing. Maybe that had something to do with the failure I am experiencing?

Advice is so much appreciated.

Re:1970 Seaking 7 years 8 months ago #125289

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I've been posting my updates and issues in the Chrysler group. For an update, I've redone about everything on the motor it seems. New carb, plugs, timing, coil, and will be replacing the rectifier.

Finally to a point where it is running well.
It's a fun ski boat, though it isn't such a good boat for tubing.
Really great little cruiser.

Tops out around 23 mph.

Today I got the gauge lights working, and after rebuilding the dimmer switch, it all works like new.

I think they are pretty neat!
Attachments:

1970 Seaking 6 years 1 month ago #135749

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
It's been some time, and I thought I would offer an update. Since I last posted, I have enjoyed the Sea King on various lakes all over Wisconsin. We bought a lake home a little over a year ago, and with that bought a 21 foot deck boat. The Sea King just doesn't get much use now. I let my brother use it last summer, but he too doesn't have much time for it. It is sitting covered in the clean/dry haymow with my other toys. I worry about the boat. It is in SUCH GOOD CONDITION that I fear I am not being a good steward.
I think it's time to consider selling this rare boat. Now, I know a Ward's Sea King isn't a "rare" boat, but it's condition is.
If you are someone who really wants a Fiberglassic but doesn't want to restore one, consider mine. Honestly, you won't believe how clean and solid it is. I'll post it on the Glassifieds, and I threw it up on Appleton WI CL. I'm not firm with my price (you all know what I paid for it) but I have put over $1000 in it with the tune up/engine work and redoing the trailer and vinyl floor.
Check out the ad, and if you're interested in a rare find, contact me! I am open to offers, and would consider trading for a seadoo type thing...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5804 guests and no members online