Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: my 62 pipestone

my 62 pipestone 13 years 9 months ago #10819

so i have a 17ft 1962 pipestone 110h I/O. all the info i have found on the WWW. states thet pipestone was in busines from 1969 to 1972 yet i have found others that clame to have had 62 pipstones but have no info on theme. please shed some lite on this mistery!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:my 62 pipestone 13 years 9 months ago #10842

Welcome aboard!

No mystery. Wherever it states that Pipestone started up in 1969 is incorrect.

Pipestone Sales Co. started making fiberglass boats circa 1954. For about a year some of the Pipestone hulls were molded for them by Slayton Boat in nearby Slayton. John Lysdale was the head of Pipestone Sales and several other businesses in Pipestone, MN.

Lysdale died in November 1965 and his widow became owner of his businesses. She sold the boat operation in 1967 to Puratronics. About a month later Puratronics also purchased Midwest Marine at Red Wing, MN, the maker of Mariner brand fiberglass boats. In 1968 Puratronics bought Lange Mfg. in Pipestone, a firm that also did plastic molding work.

In 1969 Puratronics sold all its boat endeavors to a new firm called Pipestone Mfg. Co. headed by Wes Lange. A year later another new firm called Countryside General, Inc. was created which purchased the boat operation and Lange Mfg. In 1971-72 this new firm was in financial trouble and the city (which owned the boat manufacturing buildings) was attempting to evict them because of non-payment of rent. In October 1972 Countryside decided to dump the boat operations and concentrate on modular home construction. The boat firm, operating as Pipestone-Mariner, was bankrupt.

In January 1973 the Bankruptcy Court approved sale of the boat operation and Bayliner came in a got it for a song. In February 1973 the first Bayliner boats rolled out of the Pipestone factory.

Bayliner closed the Pipestone boat operation in the Fall of 2008.

I have 1960 and 1965 Pipestone Boat brochures. In the late 1960s and early 1970s they made some the most ugly boats you can imagine!

Andreas

Re:my 62 pipestone 13 years 9 months ago #10894

I have a 1961 pipstone that is 15 foot long I had a pic on my old
profile will post one soon have been looking for a good pic of the
emblem so I can have some made
Charles

Re:my 62 pipestone 13 years 9 months ago #10898

You can tell a lot from your power plant and outdrive too. Engine serial numbers and especially a description of the outdrive can help id the year.

Re:my 62 pipestone 13 years 9 months ago #10944

it has a 110hp inboard, the out drive tag is gone but i think its an early to mid 60 MC I. its a real clean boat with no major problims, and i got it for $350.00..

Re:my 62 pipestone 13 years 6 months ago #18332

A fairly accurate description of the Pipestone Boat History ; however I thought that Les Lange rather than Wes Lange was the head of Pipestone Mfg Co in 1969.---

Re:my 62 pipestone 13 years 6 months ago #18333

I may have one but not sure where to find it-I will contact you if it shows up......

Re:my 62 pipestone 13 years 6 months ago #18338

Yup it is LES LANGE, not Wes. My mistake. His twin brother ROY LANGE was also a co-owner. Roy died 23 Oct 1970 at age 52. Les died 21 Nov 1973 at age 55.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)