Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what do i do about this paint?

what do i do about this paint? 13 years 9 months ago #10615

ive posted 2 pics of my boat, if anyone can give me some advice on how to fix the paint, it would be great. thanks everyone have a wonderful day. the pics r posted on my profile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:what do i do about this paint? 13 years 9 months ago #10617

hi...and welcome. i believe that is gelcoat and not paint. i think it all has to be sanded off,then primed b4 paint is applied. there are a lot more informative people here that you will hear from. ron

Re:what do i do about this paint? 13 years 9 months ago #11308

thanks alot! ive been working on the floor. after its done im gonna try and fix the gelcoat/paint next. hope i can do it lmao

Re:what do i do about this paint? 13 years 9 months ago #11311

What your boat has is what i believe is called "crazing"...ie, lots of spider cracks in the gel coat leaving sort of a broken eggshell texture....usually caused by exposure to the elements or excessive flexing.

Best way ive heard of getting rid of them is first finding out the cause. If its a flexy area of fiberglass, id recommend re-enforcing the backside first to keep it from happening again. Sand till all the cracks are level and smooth...you dont necessarily have to sand till they are gone but you want a nice, even surface to work with. A good quality epoxy primer will fill them in. Then block the area and paint.

Re:what do i do about this paint? 13 years 8 months ago #13456

thanks alot for the advice. unfortunately work has picked up tremendously lately so i havent had time to work on it in a while. but when i get the extra time i will definately work on it. thanks again and be safe

Re:what do i do about this paint? 13 years 8 months ago #13461

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
yup that's crazing alright...and yer johnson needs a little more shaft and power for that old boat.

Have fun with it.
Jim

Re:what do i do about this paint? 13 years 8 months ago #13477

jerrfy is right ,i had some small gel cracks and i used a high build primer after sanding ,it takes a few coats but it works,dont use spot putty,it shrinks after time and it will crack,at least thats my humble opinion,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted