Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1955 catalog for The Lafayette Supply Company

1955 catalog for The Lafayette Supply Company 8 years 2 months ago #118638

• ebdn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Here is a catalog and price list for The Lafayette Supply Company, for the Library category: Propulsion, subcategory: Outboard Motor Accessories, Lafayette page.
Thank you.
Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1955 catalog for The Lafayette Supply Company 8 years 2 months ago #118742

Thanks for the submission, great brochure!

Since the price list lists prices effective November 1955, I included the brochure as a 1956 "model year". I have other evidence from a magazine ad from later in 1956. that the "Helm-Rite" steering wheel mount was introduced as "new" in 1956, and this "Helm-Rite" was included in this brochure.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lafayette

Re: 1955 catalog for The Lafayette Supply Company 8 years 2 months ago #118749

• ebdn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you for including this brochure in the Library.

I got this brochure because I am interested in the Helm-Rite mount. One is mounted on my 1956 Lone Star Skipper. Below is probably more than most will want to know about the manufacturing dates for the Helm-Rite.

Doing a Google search on "Helm-Rite", and then selecting "Books" from the "More" menu item in Google, turns up a number of places where it turns up in magazines. The earliest mention I found is in a 1936 issue of "The Fisherman's Handbook" with simply a product listing that says: "Helm Rite: Steering wheel mount: Lafayette Supply Co." In a 1954 issue of "The Fisherman" an advertisement says "Called the Helm-Rite, this new steering wheel mount for use on outboard boats ..." The most recent mention that I found was 1963. So the Helm-Rite had a long manufacturing run.

On this particular brochure there is a sticker on the cover right above the word "CATALOG" in the upper right corner. The sticker appears to have been put on at the time of distribution to cover up the year 1955. I think this may have been done so that the catalog could be distributed after 1955. If I hold the front page up to a bright light, it is possible to see the printing of 1955 under the sticker.

So I think it is a 1955 catalog. Either way, thank you for including it in the Library.

Ed

1955 catalog for The Lafayette Supply Company 6 years 8 months ago #132608

This is a really interesting catalog. It's riveting to see and read. Thanks for sharing this.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)