Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Testing the "Overheat" switch - did I do it right?

Testing the "Overheat" switch - did I do it right? 12 years 10 months ago #36924

1966 Starflite 100.

Pulled the switch for the overheat light. Indicator light on the dash works. Put the switch in a pan of boiling water with a continuity tester on the lead and the metal pan on the bottom of the switch.

And...waited, and waited and waited. Water was a rolling boil for several minutes. Nothing.

I assume the switch is toast and if it was $15 I wouldn't even bother posting this, but since it's $70 I thought I'd double check.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Testing the "Overheat" switch - did I do it right? 12 years 10 months ago #36931

There is power to the switch when ignition is " on "
On overheat it grounds to the block and completes the circuit.Alarm now is activated light or horn.

Re: Testing the "Overheat" switch - did I do it right? 12 years 10 months ago #36944

CAVU

Re: Testing the "Overheat" switch - did I do it ri 12 years 10 months ago #36954

"Only $70" to you

is "70 Freakin' Dollars??!!" to me,

that's why I wanted to make sure I had tested it right.

Locating the switch is easy enough, but I wasn't going to drop the $70 if I didn't have to.

Re: Testing the "Overheat" switch - did I do it ri 12 years 10 months ago #36973

List a want ad on the AOMCI Webvertize..One of our members should have one used...got a flywheel for a 1968 55 hp for $15 shipping was near the cost of the wheel

www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Webvertize

CAVU

Re: Testing the "Overheat" switch - did I do it ri 12 years 10 months ago #36999

Try using hot oil
Reason is the set point( 211 f +- 6 f ) is near the boiling point of water 212 F at sea level.
Depending on where you are ( elevation ) your boiling water may not get hot enuff

Re: Testing the 12 years 10 months ago #37088

professor wrote:

Depending on where you are ( elevation ) your boiling water may not get hot enuff

True enough, I'm at 3200' so that's a distinct possibility.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)