• Page:

TOPIC: converting a 66 starflite 100s ponts ign-elec ign

converting a 66 starflite 100s ponts ign-elec ign 12 years 10 months ago #34961

• kc8vpp
  • kc8vpp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i have a 66 starflite 100s that came stock with a points style ignition and i also have a 1968 starflite 100 s with an electronic ignition i dont know if the 68 runs or not but i was wonder how hard or what i would have to do to put the electronic ignition on the 66. or would in not be worth the work that would have to be done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:converting a 66 starflite 100s ponts ign-elec ign 12 years 10 months ago #34995

Points have worked on outboard motor for years so why change it?. If your electronic go out its big bucks to replace.Points and everything else the go with them are cheep or reasonble.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:converting a 66 starflite 100s ponts ign-elec ign 12 years 10 months ago #35052

I have a funny short story... I had a 1957 Evinrude 15 or 18 hp twin (this was 25+ years ago... some details are fuzzy) The thing was a real pain to get started... it would take a 10 or more hard pulls to make it fire. I was determined to tune it up, but i couldnt find points and condenser for it. I was talking to the guys at the local Rent-it-Center, and they handed me a Briggs & Stratton motor electronic conversion kit. A little, inexpensive module that fits under the flywheel and replaces the points and condenser. The module has some proximity sensor in it and senses the points lobe passing. I thought, what the heck and I bought two of them. Put them in (very easy instructions), and reassembled the engine.

I climbed in the boat in the driveway, got the engine all set up, and wound up expecting to pull it hard and fast as I was used to. Half way through the first pull the engine fired up and I flew backwards and cracked my head on the dash... the engine was singing!

I went and shut it down... blinked with amazement (and rubbed the new bump on my head)... sat down next to the motor and gave it a whimpy limp-wristed pull, and it fired right up again.

I had that motor for several more years, and it always started like that... every time... even after sitting for long periods... at the most, two light pulls.

Whacky as it sounds, it was the easiest starting engine I've ever owned.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:converting a 66 starflite 100s ponts ign-elec ign 12 years 10 months ago #35152

• kc8vpp
  • kc8vpp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
do you have any idea how to find something like that for my engine? because that sounds like it would be amazing!

Re:converting a 66 starflite 100s ponts ign-elec ign 12 years 10 months ago #35233

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)