• Page:

TOPIC: Bearcat Controls

Bearcat Controls 7 years 8 months ago #124542

• Modeler
  • Modeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've secured a Bearcat 55 for my Dorsett Catalina project boat via a trade with a friend. I'm out of state until late September, so I haven't actually seen it in person yet. I'm told it has controls, but I was thinking that it might be nice to have a set of nice, new Morse-Teleflex controls on the boat. Specifically, I was thinking of a Twin S Control , although I could see using others instead.

Anyway, what is the factory control setup on a Bearcat? Does it use regular 33c cables? Is the ignition switch wired into the factory control box, or does it have a separate panel? Do they normally have an electric choke? Is there a provision for gauges (tachometer, oil pressure, temperature) or would I have to wire/drill/tap the block to install those items myself?

What are the recommended service intervals for the engine? Oil, spark plugs, ignition system, etc.

Are there different pitch propellers available for the Bearcat? Do they use a proprietary propeller or some other more commonly available unit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Bearcat Controls 7 years 8 months ago #124772

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Two different control boxes, Bearcat and Homelite "Safetymate". The Homelite box is a single lever with the ignition switch and hotlight/oil pressure/alarm in the box itself. The Bearcat box is also a single lever but uses a separate panel for the ignition and hotlight and does not have an audible alarm. There is a factory tach which works on pulse and requires no additional wiring from the engine. Water temp and oil pressure use the same factory idiot light. The ignition switch for both boxes has a push in key type electric choke. Props are 8 through 14 pitch, Scott 60-75hp will interchange.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate